Stock Needle vs "Comp Needle"

With the XRR, can anyone explain to me the difference between the stock needle and the "comp" needle? The bike I just bought came with a bag of misc. main jets and a needle, (with the washer in seat #2). I think this may be the stock needle. Are there numbers I can id them? Please let me know if you can. Thanks, :devil:

Stock needle is a B53D (3rd or 4th clip position from top would be typical for an uncorked bike--depending on temps and elevation).

HRC needle is a B53E (2rd or 3th clip position from top would be typical for an uncorked bike--depending on temps and elevation).

In my experience, either one will work fine in most cases--the taper difference is not drastic between the two.

It looks like I have the B53E needle in the bag with the misc. jets. So the bike must have the stock needle in it. I have changed out the slow jet, from a 65S to a 68,(I need to order a 68S, I just had a 68 slow jet in the bag and thought it would be better then the 65S at sea level) and the main jet from a 162 to a 175. The bike came from Utah. I am currently in Florida. The bike is uncorked. It starts much better now, and seems to run great, but what should I expect from the needle change out? Any ideas?

No need to order a 68s. A normal 68 is just fine.

The needle dominates the fueling from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. Surging at constant throttle or poor response to throttle changes within that range would call for a needle adjustment.

Really, on the needle, unless there's some obvious poor running condition (within the throttle range dominated by the needle circuit) experimentation is the best way to find optimal setting.

On the Pig Pen site, Bob's uncorking explains how to replace the needle and needle seat from part # 16012-MBN-641. Is this the part # for the HRC kit? When I found the B53E needle in the bag, it had a needle seat attached to it. It seems there are different seats, unless under Bob's uncorking he instructs to replace the seat only because it is new? The needle seat has not markings. Are you sure all needle seats are the same?

I once had the same question. I think the needle jets are the same. New needles and needle jets come as a pair when purchases from Honda, but I don't think that indicates it's a different sized needle jet.

I'd love for someone to actually mic the seats (stock vs. HRC) to confirm any difference.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371019