2003 Xr650r $3495

20 replies to this topic
  • mattfree99

Posted October 11, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Hi, I am looking at a nice Honda XR650R with less than 800 miles and street plates.

Is this a good price for such a low mileage 2003. I have seen them for less without the Trail tech Computer or Baja design DS kit.

It is either the BRP or a 2003 WR450F with street plates.

Any thoughts?

Let me know.

Thank you Matt :devil:

• Mescalero

Posted October 11, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Not a bad price for a plated 650R in that condition. Buy it before someone else does. The 450 is a totaly different bike.

my dos centavos

• Billahjack

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Both are great bikes!

My 2 cents...

It comes down to your riding style. If you used to ride MotoX, then you might opt for the lighter more nimble WR. If you like torque, stability, and higher speeds then you might opt for the XR.

BRP (XR650R) = beefy torque monster that will last years with proper maintenance. You can be putting along at idle in 3rd gear and whack the throttle open without using the clutch to make the rear instantly spin up on dirt. It has a long piston skirt for long top-end life unlike current motocross 4-strokes that need rebuilds at low hours. It does not require much clutch except some tapping to keep the front wheel down when hill climbing. The 30 extra pounds of weight on the BRP and design keep it very stable on open terrain. It absorbs bumps well while tracking straight. This is a great bike for dual sporting and higher speeds.

WR = lighter bike, less power, more clutch to keep the revs up when going slow and needing power. Electric start is nice but BRP kicks real easy if you are 5'10" or taller. WR is a great bike for forest riding on twisty trails with the lower weight. It is more nimble but you should get a steering damper for high speed rough stuff if you want it to feel more stable under these conditions. I think the WR has a shorter piston skirt but it is still longer than MotoX bikes for better life.

• GetBent

Posted October 11, 2006 - 10:01 PM

That sounds like a good price, less than I paid for my 01.

• frankstr

Posted October 12, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Sounds like a deal, mattfree99,
Oh yeah, Wecome to TT....you'll get some input here.. :devil:

• pburke

Posted October 12, 2006 - 07:06 AM

whenever I see those low mileage numbers on these bikes I start to wonder... It took me just 3 months to put 1200 miles on my bike, and I don't use it for anything but fun, haul it to the trails, etc. A bike that is plated will rake up miles quite quickly. 800 miles in 3 years?

If you can check it out in person, then you can judge much better if 800 miles are for real. The bike should for sure have the stock tires and not have much wear on the front tire. Very little wear on the engine paint near the pegs, check shifter for wear, etc.

The price really depends on condition and not on the year the bike was built. I paid more for my 01 and it had definitely more than 2000 miles on it, possibly 5000. However, it was in superb shape and I got a pile of upgrades to make up for the price. I would never have bought it without first checking it in person, though.

Peter

• mattfree99

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Right, All I have seen so far is pictures and pictures don't always tell the truth. The BRP is very clean in the pictures. Stock tires rear is half worn from only being used in the street. The worst part is the Honda is a 7 hour drive to look at. So I have to be pretty sure it's what I want before driving all that way. And I all ready own an ATK 605 but I can't get a larger gas tank for it. There seems to be lots of parts for the XR650R even if they stop making. Parts will be around for a long time. Not so with my ATK.
Matt

• rebelventurer

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:05 PM

I would be suspicous of the mileage, and agree with the other responses its a deal if all is in order, definately check it out first and ride it if possible. Oh, welcome and good luck!!!

• Cobalt650

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:10 PM

If it were in good shape, and located near Wisconsin, I'd be rolling it in to my garage!!!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:14 PM

I would snap it up now. If it looks like it only has 800 miles on it or even if it had 2000 miles I would snap it up. Because it's plated it is a no brainer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:21 PM

i would say it is average. not a steal but you definately aren't getting ripped off. also is that his asking price. cause he may take 3100 or something around there.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:49 PM

with the choice between wr450 and xr650R to me its a no brainer, but to you if you can handle the additional weight and ride in a torque oriented fashion get the XR, if you like a light bike and rev it out all the time and dont mind changing pistons, valves etc... regularly get the wr.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 12, 2006 - 03:52 PM

I'm curious, is this a California bike? 7 hours seems like it would be out of state.

• mattfree99

Posted October 12, 2006 - 07:12 PM

I'm curious, is this a California bike? 7 hours seems like it would be out of state.

No Actual it is in Washington.
From where I live I should be able to get to Caleavfornia or Nevada, Idaho and Washington in less than five hours.
Yea I f***ed up and gave the dealer a deposit before looking at it.

And then the guy with the WR450 got back to me and I bought it tonite.

The good thing is Mom said go ahead and buy the Honda too.
So I will be back to the old I owe I owe off to work I go for some time now.

I will ride them both and then unload the one that does not suit me the best.

Oh well thats what happens with those damm Heloc's.

Matt

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 12, 2006 - 07:56 PM

No Actual it is in Washington.
From where I live I should be able to get to Caleavfornia or Nevada, Idaho and Washington in less than five hours.
Yea I f***ed up and gave the dealer a deposit before looking at it.

And then the guy with the WR450 got back to me and I bought it tonite.

So I will be back to the old I owe I owe off to work I go for some time now.

I will ride them both and then unload the one that does not suit me the best.

Oh well thats what happens with those damm Heloc's.

Matt

In Washington? Where was it? How did you find out about it? I live in Eastern WA and am always checking cycle trader. I own a XR650R and love it but it's not plated. Tell us if it lives up to the 800 mile billing. Some pictures would be nice.

• mattfree99

Posted October 12, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Well,

I guess I just lucked out they posted it last Friday and I saw it Saturday now it is no longer listed on cycletrader.

http://www.macscycle....cfm?BikeID=541

here is a direct link to there web site

• mattfree99

Posted October 12, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Oh yea,

It is sold by the way.

• pburke

Posted October 13, 2006 - 06:53 AM

If it were in good shape, and located near Wisconsin, I'd be rolling it in to my garage!!!

you're not getting mine even though it's in Wisconsin and is in good shape :devil:

• Cobalt650

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:08 PM

Alright Pburke, how'd you get a street legal BRP in Wisco???

• Mescalero

Posted October 15, 2006 - 07:01 AM

Matt

You poor guy?!!! :thumbsdn: :devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.