Tranny Question

3 replies to this topic
  • benny_d

Posted October 11, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I have a 2000 yz426f and my 3rd gear is now skipping. I have called around to a few places and the ball park estimates are around $1500 to fix this, provided nothing else should be replaced. Does this price seem right?

I street legalized it a couple years back and am wondering what it would be worth right now, without fixing it because I can not come up with that kind of cash. The thing does not have that many hours on it and only about 20 hours on the street. As far as I am concerned, the thing is perfect except for the gear problem.

What are some thoughts on this?

Thanks,

benny_d

• Chrome Speedo

Posted October 11, 2006 - 05:16 PM

The gear itself is cheap but a lot of parts could have been affected. YOur quote sounds like a lot. I would go to a local MX race and ask around to find a guy who does this kind of work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted October 11, 2006 - 06:05 PM

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, open up your manual and go at it yourself. You will likely need 3rd, 5th gear and the shift fork between them + a gasket kit. Looking ballpark around $350 in parts if you do it yourself. Its really not that hard... just time consuming. Only special tools you really need is a good torque wrench and maybe a feeler guage to check the valves on re-assembly.

• grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:05 PM

The bulk of the estimate is for labor. It involves removing the engine and completely disassembling it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.