ok i hear alot about it now how do I do it?

9 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted October 11, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Before I get bashed search feature is down for past 2 nights. on my 06yz450f I hear everybody saying move forks down to 1st line yada yada. What 1st line and is this easy or a pain? anyone have a good article on how to to this? any help appreciated thanks

• DPW

Posted October 11, 2006 - 04:30 PM

Very easy...you will be moving the forks up in the clamps not down. Loosen the four pinch bolts on each of the triple clamps..upper and lower and slide the forks up to the first line. Re-torque the bolts and enjoy...

• matts06yzf

Posted October 11, 2006 - 05:40 PM

what 1st line ? what line am I looking for?

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 11, 2006 - 06:04 PM

the small indentions at the top of the fork tube, that are about 10mm (?) below the fork cap. MAKE SURE that both sides are EQUAL or your bike will handle like a flaming sack of poo on blocks! Just loosen the pinch bolts and slide the tubes upwards, very easy. While your at it, check your axle nut cause they work loose really easy. Dont over tighten it, its aluminum.

• barch88

Posted October 11, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Once you loosen the fork and pull it up you will see the line.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 12, 2006 - 05:22 AM

Loosen top and bottom pinch bolts and raise the forks. Use a torgue wrench to tighten top at 14ftlbs and bottom at 17ftlbs or per torgue range in the manual

• DPW

Posted October 12, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Loosen top and bottom pinch bolts and raise the forks. Use a torgue wrench to tighten top at 14ftlbs and bottom at 17ftlbs or per torgue range in the manual

flip-flop the torque setting 17 top and bottom 14..

• Ga426owner

Posted October 12, 2006 - 09:34 AM

flip-flop the torque setting 17 top and bottom 14..

Thanks DPW - too much coffee this am..........

• grayracer513

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:53 PM

And on that note, here's a picture of "the line" for you.

Posted Image

• av

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Don't forget to re-seat/realign you forks once you have changed their positions on the triple clamps - i.e. once the triple clamps are tightened, loosen the axle & pinch bolts and bounce up & down on the forks to re-seat them so that they won't bind, then tighten the axle & pinch bolts back up to spec. You really should tighten the top triple clamps by itself, keep the lower clamp a little loose, re-seat the forks, then tighten the lower clamps, axle bolts & pinch bolts at the bottom.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.