NEW FOR 1998:
- Fork travel increase of 9mm and friction-reducing compression and damping refinements.
- Rear shock stroke-increase of 5.8mm results in an increase of rear axle stroke by 10.2mm. New rear spring rate and rear linkage ratio.
- Revised frame geometry includes steeper caster, shorter trail, and shorter wheelbase.
- Frame has relocated shock mount, new chain-roller location, and improved welding methods at headpipe, shock mount, and engine bracket areas.
- Subframe uses thinner-walled design and a new mounting location to reduce weight and maintain strength.
- New swingarm features a 1.5mm-thicker cross-body for improved rigidity and balance.
- Redesigned countershaft provides a more precise fit with drive sprocket.
- Stainless steel clutch cable for longer life.
- Seat foam density improved.
- Liquid-cooled 2-stroke single cylinder engine with 66.4mm x 72.0mm bore & stroke and 8.7:1 compression ratio.
- Map-type digital electronic ignition system monitors engine speed to provide optimal timing for faster, stronger response during hard acceleration.
- Power Jet Control (PJC) carburetor features solenoid-controlled auxiliary main jet that opens at low rpm for stronger, more linear response and improved traction out of corners.
- Steel water-pump gear.
- Large-volume single radiator.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION:
- Aluminum twin-spar frame features dual box-section spars and downtubes, and compact forged pivot-plates for light weight and rigidity. Main frame and swingarm have variable wall-thickness for ideal combination of light weight and strength.
- Light, tapered aluminum box-section swingarm.
- Rear axle features integrated collars.
- Rear disc brake features low-positioned caliper and thin, large-diameter, 240mm rotor.
- Lightweight 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork features 12.4 inches of travel, and 18-position rebound damping adjustability in addition to 20 clicks of compression damping adjustability.
- Inner surface of front fork outer-tubes and rear damper case are molybdenum-coated for low friction.
- Pro-Link® single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa 46mm rear damper and 12.9 inches of wheel travel. Separate low-speed and high-speed compression damping adjusters.
- Wide, cleated, self-cleaning, folding, cast stainless steel footpegs.
- Lightweight, ultra-strong chain guide.
- Cleated rear brake lever and folding shift lever tip.
- Strong, rigid front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span.
- Super-light rims, straight-pull spokes and lightweight hubs offer exceptional durability and minimize unsprung weight for optimum suspension action.
Engine Type: 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder two-stroke with power-port system
Bore and Stroke: 66.4mm x 72mm
Compression Ratio: 8.7:1
Induction: Four-petal reed valve
Carburetion: 38.3mm flat-slide
Ignition: Solid-state map-type digital ignition with electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #520 chain; 13T/50T
Suspension Front: 47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 18-position rebound and 20-position compression damping adjustability; 12.4 inches travel
Suspension Rear: Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload, 20-position rebound damping adjustability, and compression damping adjustment separated into low-speed (8 positions) and high-speed (2 turns); 12.9 inches travel
Brakes Front: Single 240mm disc with twin-piston caliper
Brakes Rear: Single 240mm disc
Tires Front: 80/100-21
Tires Rear: 110/90-19
Wheelbase: 58.2 inches
Seat Height: 36.7 inches
Ground Clearance: 12.8 inches
Dry Weight: 213.8 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2.0 gallons