2003????

9 replies to this topic
  • Cambo_wr400

Posted December 11, 2001 - 09:00 PM

Has anyone herd whats happening for 2003? Are we getting a 450 or 470 with a button? Or am I going to have to start looking at the Euro bikes? Not the orange turds though, blue/yellow or black....

• yamaha.dude

Posted December 11, 2001 - 09:16 PM

Speaking to the local dealer today, he reckons that as the factory teams have all been running 500cc bikes, it is only a matter of time before they go into production... Expect a YZ500F and WR500F in the next couple of years... E-start will be on the cards, perhaps as an option on the YZ (for weight savings...) Honda has thrown down the gauntlet, and Yamaha is not going to sit still too long... They have had a good few years with the current models, 5-6 years to recoup the development and production costs... time for some new models in the next couple of years... expect to see some trickery emerging - Fuel Injection as one example...

Hope that wets your appetite, but please, don't turn blue - remember to breath...

David :)

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 12, 2001 - 03:54 AM

I was speaking with a new friend who works at the local Yamaha Motors factory down the road. He basically echo'd what Yamaha dude has said here. It appears that the Yamaha Skunk Works team is looking at something to compete with that Orange 520. Next year could prove interesting.

Bonzai :)

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 12, 2001 - 04:38 AM

There is a NEW 450 cc limit on 4 strokes competing in the 250 class. Wonder what Yamaha will do...

Hopefully, they'll shed serious poundage (kilogrammage) off the now super heavy YZF/WRF's.

http://www.motorcycl...ember01ktm.html

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted December 12, 2001 - 06:42 AM

The AMA needs to bring back the 500cc and/or Open class! Enough of this 250cc vs 450cc & 125cc vs 250cc stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Rendahl

Posted December 12, 2001 - 10:35 PM

Ron in SoCal you couldn't have said it any sweeter!! Why don't they just put us in a class by ourselves!!!

• PMAUST

Posted December 12, 2001 - 10:51 PM

That would surely be sweet if Yamaha came out with an e-button for the WR. Fuel-injection(Green Sticker) and a pipe that makes real power throughout the range and meets sound requirements and doesn't weight a ton. I would also like it if they added a sixth speed. A lot of us gear down for the more technical stuff but like some room on the top when needed. The WR is still my favorite bike. Yamaha should make them in 400 and 500 sizes as the 500's might be a little much for some riders. The 400's are a perfect fit for some. Could it be possible to fantacise any more??? Nah!!! :) Maybe, we should all send a wish list to Yamaha????? :D

• big_G

Posted December 12, 2001 - 10:57 PM

Somebody is already running a factory 500 in europe, I've seen the pix, I don't remember the detail, and I can't imagine the powerband....BBBBBRRRRAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!

SCOTT F... paging SCOTT F..... (he'd know)

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: big_G ]

• MN_Kevin

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:11 PM

Gimme back my YZ465 2 stroke and Open class.

Those WERE the days!!

• xrracer36

Posted December 13, 2001 - 07:57 AM

open class and a "smaller class" (125/250, / whatever??)
OR
two stroke class and four stroke class like quads run. this would mean that if there was a rider who was faster on his 125 than the current champ on his 250 or 500cc two-smoke, he would actually be given the credit he deserves, not being relegated to riding the "support class" where it doesn't mean as much in most people's eyes.
my $.02
:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.