Big Tire on xr650r?

11 replies to this topic
  • nickreal

Posted October 11, 2006 - 02:15 PM

How big of a tire can I fit back there without any major mods? I'd like to run a 120 maxxis IT tire. Does anyone running this tire on a xr650r have any input? :devil:

• cleonard

Posted October 11, 2006 - 02:29 PM

I'm sure that you will have no issues with a 120 Maxxis IT tire. Maxxis tires run a little on the small side. A 120/100-18 Maxxis is just about the same as a 110/100-18 Dunlop. Since a 110/100 is what is speced for your bike, it will fit no problem. I believe that some are using tires as wide as 140 with no issues.

• snaggletooth

Posted October 11, 2006 - 03:39 PM

I just finished mounting a Pirelli 140/80/18 MT21. It has enough room not too rub. I'm still looking for the ultimate tire that will wear like steel. I hope this is the one. My short street trips eat up thoes tires! My BRP doesn't like to wheelie on soft dirt so I have a habit of doing my wheelies on the road. It's not the brightes thing to do, unsafe and hard on the tires, not to mention the possibility of getting a ticket.

I love my plated BRP!

• Docmarkw

Posted October 11, 2006 - 03:50 PM

I run the Maxxis 120 with no problems. I have found that this is the best tire for wear by far.

• 1stgear

Posted October 11, 2006 - 10:00 PM

The IRC M5B 140/80-18 and the Teraflex are great tires. You have to turn the rebound up when you use the TF and you won't be able to hit the whoops as fast with the heavy tire. But it's great for hill climbs and stopping, and it's great in soft terrain. The maxxis is a good tire that lasts a long time. I run 13/51 gearing with the TF at Clear Creek, add a link to the chain to get it to fit. :devil:

• icedfusion

Posted October 12, 2006 - 02:48 AM

Does anyone know if you can get the TeraFlex in the UK - seen them in the US but I can't seem to find anyone who will sell them in the UK.
Probably be a bit expensive to get the tyres shipped from the US to the UK

ice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dune7

Posted October 12, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I use the Dunlop 908 Rally Raid which is a 140/80, which is good on Asphalt and o.k in the desert sand. The matching front tire sucks though. It is "big" and adds quite a bit of extra "height" and changes the "rake" of the bike which changes the handling a little....nothing you can't adjust though. Fits fine , except it wears the mudflap a bit faster! I use it with a standard 14/48 gearing and chain.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted October 12, 2006 - 07:40 AM

When ever I go to any size larger than stock they rub my stock muffler other than that they easily fit the swing arm. Even the Maxxis IT 120 rubs my muffler. So I have gone back to the stock 110 which eliminates the problem.

• 1stgear

Posted October 12, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Keep trying to get one, even if you have to pay extra. Everyone should have a Teraflex on their 650R at least once in their life. I get lot's of comments and lot's of wide eyed looks with the TF. Folks ask me if it's an ATV tire. It's really a 150/90-18. If a friend gets behind you, the roost from a TF will make them fall behind real fast. The tire is DOT legal for the road. It's heavy and not good for racing.. but for fun, it's great. The 650R can spin it up and dig trenches a foot deep. :devil:

Does anyone know if you can get the TeraFlex in the UK - seen them in the US but I can't seem to find anyone who will sell them in the UK.
Probably be a bit expensive to get the tyres shipped from the US to the UK

ice.

• hill5150

Posted October 12, 2006 - 11:01 AM

120-100-18 MAXXIS-IT....... works great, wears fairly well on the street too :devil: ran all summer on the pave ditching the po-po :thumbsdn:

• Big Pollock

Posted October 12, 2006 - 08:21 PM

The 120 Maxxis is no problem, unless you crush your pipe into it. Pipes like to eat rubber. I fed mine last month.

• Desertskyy

Posted October 13, 2006 - 06:50 AM

I run the Maxxis 120 with no problems. I have found that this is the best tire for wear by far.

I second that. The Maxxis 120 is a great tire for the 650. I get a lot of miles out of mine.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.