New decals on old plastic?

9 replies to this topic
  • sheriffwoody

Posted October 11, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I just bought some pretty extravecant vinyl decals for my WR that pretty much cover all of the panels. My question is, is it worth it to install them over the old scratched plastics or should I replace them. They are not too bad, mostly light scratches but some are "gouges" that I can definitly catch my finger nail on, maybee 1MM deep at the most. Will the decals hide the scratches???

• woodsk

Posted October 11, 2006 - 12:38 PM

If the scratches or gouges are in location that would cause the graphic to not make contact with the plastic then you could rip the graphic in those spots, and if they are at the edge of the graphic they can allow water to get in between the plastic and the graphic (but I assume you don't ride in much water in NV). These would cause premature aging of the graphic. Plastic is cheap, but why replace it if it works.

But you may not want to listen to me because I just took all the graphics off my bike and I like the way it look plain. I like ugly bikes less to worry about when I have one of my all to often get-offs. and an ugly bike makes other think you are slow on that junk looking bike, wich in my case is all about setting the proper expectations......because I am slow.

• tshe1

Posted October 11, 2006 - 01:51 PM

i did my own graphics, before installed them i polished the plastic with water sand paper (mesh 600).it took off the scratches and depend on how much polish apply to remove deep scratches.
you also can fined plastic renewing kits, which include fillers to deep grooves.

• Audun

Posted October 12, 2006 - 12:41 AM

my experience is that the problem is grease, sweat, fuel, oil and other things that makes the plastic a little bit hard to attatch stickers to! So as tshe1 says, use sandpaper to rub the plastic down.. then you have to use a chemical to wash of the sandpaper dust..Dont know whats it called in USA, but in Norway its called "Lynol".. Its a chemical you use to wash surfaces before you spraypaint..

But anyway.. the most important part is to get the sticker on right the first time.. You dont have a second attempt at making it perfect.. So I suggest you practice with some cheaper stickers first it you havent done it before!

• Bamster

Posted October 14, 2006 - 05:43 AM

But anyway.. the most important part is to get the sticker on right the first time.. You dont have a second attempt at making it perfect.. So I suggest you practice with some cheaper stickers first it you havent done it before!

Spray the plastic with a little windex and you can easily position the graphics to where you want them and sqeegie out air bubbles. Then let dry over night.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted October 14, 2006 - 05:59 AM

how bout some pics of your graphics kit?

• sheriffwoody

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I ended up sanding the plastic stepping down to 1000 grit 200 or so grit at a time. I usualy don't care about having a nice bike, but I hope it lasts! Im gonna take off the shrouds and side panels and set 'em flat. Hit it with windex and squeegee out the bubbles. Here is a the graphics I bought from XGXRacing.com. i got the blue dragon. They have some real nice custom kits - look in the gallery.
http://www.xgxracing.com/index2.html

• sheriffwoody

Posted November 01, 2007 - 07:50 AM

How do I polish the graphics to get that dark blue back before I aply the graphics? I sanded it progressivly up to 1000 grit (wet) but I still have that white scratched color after the plastic dries.

• clark4131

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Spray the plastic with a little windex and you can easily position the graphics to where you want them and sqeegie out air bubbles. Then let dry over night.

I wouldn't use Windex as the ammonia will degrade the adhesive. I just mounted some new ones and used a spray of clean water on both the plastic and adhesive side of the graphic. Works like a charm...SC

• matt4x4

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:10 AM

You answered your own question - you have to polish the plastic!
Go to 2000 grit - the finer the grit, the more shine, then plastic polish which you can even supplement using automobile scratch remover and pre wax paint cleaner - you can also use plastic polish, however, I wouldn't because the silica in those products might have an effect on how well the edges of your graphics stick.
I'd buff the edges that show about 2-3 weeks after applying the graphics to make sure the glue has bonded as good as it ever will.
I just received my N-Style Paint graphics for my WR and will be buffing out the tank before applying them, as well as refinishing my swingarm - winter's almost here!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.