650L full throttle lag

5 replies to this topic
  • turbowhine

Posted October 10, 2006 - 10:22 PM

At full throttle while riding at speed, the engine bogs down and lags a little. Anywhere lower than, say, 90% throttle and everything seems fine. Is this a symptom of a dirty float bowl perhaps? I have little to no experience with carburators, but am very mechanically inclined and am about to tear into this thing but figured a little advice would be helpful. It's a stock '94 xr650L.

• frankstr

Posted October 11, 2006 - 05:43 AM

Sounds like you need a Pumper Carb..... :devil:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:08 AM

At full throttle while riding at speed, the engine bogs down and lags a little. Anywhere lower than, say, 90% throttle and everything seems fine. Is this a symptom of a dirty float bowl perhaps? I have little to no experience with carburators, but am very mechanically inclined and am about to tear into this thing but figured a little advice would be helpful. It's a stock '94 xr650L.

Insufficient jetting?

(Main, not pilot, but both might be assessed for proper air/fuel mix for your altitude and riding style)

Float needle/seat dirty?

Sticky float hinge?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:12 AM

If its stock, as in paper-air-filter and stock jets then doing the 'Dave-Mods' would be a good place to start.

You could give the carb a good cleaning while doing that.

D

• cleonard

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:36 AM

It's a symptom of a too lean main jet. You want do do what are known as "Dave's Mods." Search for it on this forum.

• turbowhine

Posted October 11, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Okay, Dave's mods it is then. I've just ordered the shop manual and some parts from BikeBandit so when those arrive it's time to make this thing fly. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.