complete hinson cluth install

8 replies to this topic
  • dwnlowx

Posted October 10, 2006 - 10:48 AM

i am going to put all hinson parts in my 450 this week and i just am wondering if any body ran in to any problems during the install from something needing to be modified or cut or dosent fit right please let me know any helpful tips what ever let me know ,also i was planning on running my barnett clutches and new springs that are in the bike right now they have about 50 hrs on em

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2006 - 02:40 PM

You do know that to install the basket, you need to drill off the rivets holding the primary gear to the OEM basket, right? Follow the included directions carefully, and use red Loc-Tite on the provided bolts. Tighten them as specified, and then stake the bolt heads and punch peen the end of the bolts.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Hey grayracer, I am wanting to run synthetic oil in my 06 that has a full Hinson clutch. But Hinson tells me do not run anything but petroleum with their clutch. They told me that the clutch would slip and make the bike run hotter. I see that you also have a full Hinson and I know you like Amsoil synthetics. What has been your experience? I Know you have been asked this before but Hinson has me concerned and I don`t have time to experiment because the 24hr race is this weekend. Also for dwnlowx, other than what grayracer described you won`t have any problems with install. You should be very pleased with your clutch.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:26 PM

Nonsense. That's old-school thinking and a complete myth.

I can only refer you back to my earlier response:

http://www.thumperta...174#post3874174

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:28 PM

My only mistake in doing the complete install was forgetting to buy a new bottle of red loctite.

no big deal...autozone carries it....but mine was sold out. I ended up driving 30 miles to get some.

The rivots that get drilled out is the only challenging part.

Be sure and use a sharpie to mark the outside of your primary gear before you remove it. This is much easier than trying to remember which side is out. it was never a factory plan to remove the gear so the manual is useless. On many bikes the gear is offset one direction or another.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:34 PM

I had already put synthetic in the bike, but when I talked to Hinson today they got me 2nd guessing my decision. I will take your advice and run the good stuff. I just can`t figure why Hinson is so against it. Thanks Again!

• Matt96xr6

Posted October 10, 2006 - 08:52 PM

I had already put synthetic in the bike, but when I talked to Hinson today they got me 2nd guessing my decision. I will take your advice and run the good stuff. I just can`t figure why Hinson is so against it. Thanks Again!

they sell their own brand of oil and probably want to push it only. makes sense from a marketing stand point

• Ga426owner

Posted October 11, 2006 - 04:57 AM

they sell their own brand of oil and probably want to push it only. makes sense from a marketing stand point

Bingo they want you to use and buy their oil.....
No slipping in mine with Amsoil 4stroke synthetic.......Hogwash Hinson!

• jeffboyd47m

Posted October 11, 2006 - 05:01 AM

Well that would make sense accept that Hinson recommened Maxima Premium 4-stroke oil to me.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.