Excited

13 replies to this topic
  • ezl_oo

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Ok guys I just bought a 01 yz426f yesterday and its my first big motorcross bike. I have had plenty of street bikes and currently have a 04' R1. Starting up the bike is very confusing for me, could someone please explain it for me? Also, the guy I bought it off says that I have to run it for about 20 mins and keep on reving the bike before it starts to idle and stay running on its own. If I was to ride it for a little bit and not keep giving it gas it will shut off on me. Im new to the game, so if someone would be kind enough to explain the 01' yz426f to me I would appreciate it very much!

• SoZo

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:22 AM

doesn't sound right to me. I have a 04 250 and I choke it, kick it 2 or 3 times and it starts. I dont give it any gass when starting as is the norm for 4 stroke dirt bikes. I let it warm for 1 minute and turn the choke off and it idles... On my bike depending on the time of year I will set the idle somewhat...

I would check the plug first. How is the compression? Is it very easy to kick over?

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:30 AM

Weclome to TT and the world of YZ. The following link should help:

http://www.thumperta...rting Procedure

Follow to the T. My 426 always starts within 2-3 kicks and I still have the Decomp lever.

PS. No need to let the bike run and idle for 20 minutes. It will probably overheat if you do so. It should be warmed up within 2 - 3 minutes...If it is not idling after you take the choke off, you need to adjust the idle or possibly have some other issue.

- RCD

• tnl

Posted October 10, 2006 - 12:02 PM

Also, the guy I bought it off says that I have to run it for about 20 mins and keep on reving the bike before it starts to idle and stay running on its own.

Sounds like a bunch of @%$#@#$% that someone would say to make a sale to come thru?

• ezl_oo

Posted October 10, 2006 - 01:23 PM

Also whats a good website that they sell yzf stuff for cheap?

• SC_Spode

Posted October 10, 2006 - 02:40 PM

Ok guys I just bought a 01 yz426f yesterday and its my first big motorcross bike. I have had plenty of street bikes and currently have a 04' R1. Starting up the bike is very confusing for me, could someone please explain it for me? Also, the guy I bought it off says that I have to run it for about 20 mins and keep on reving the bike before it starts to idle and stay running on its own. If I was to ride it for a little bit and not keep giving it gas it will shut off on me. Im new to the game, so if someone would be kind enough to explain the 01' yz426f to me I would appreciate it very much!

If you truly have to run it for 20 minutes before it's warm enough to idle, it sounds like it's incredibly lean on the pilot or fuel screw.

May want to check that.

:thumbsdn:

• TL426

Posted October 10, 2006 - 02:58 PM

slap a new plug in there and itll run like a champ. i had just about the same problem. i could get it started after 5 or 6 kicks, but it never wanted to idle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ezl_oo

Posted October 11, 2006 - 02:15 PM

So do you guys think I should take it to a shop and have a tune up done to it (change spark plug, change oil, ....etc.). How much would that cost? Also, what's a good website and cheap website to buy stuff for my 01' yzf426?

thanks guys

• barch88

Posted October 11, 2006 - 02:28 PM

So do you guys think I should take it to a shop and have a tune up done to it (change spark plug, change oil, ....etc.). How much would that cost? Also, what's a good website and cheap website to buy stuff for my 01' yzf426?

thanks guys

It would cost more than it needs to, do it yourself. Do you have the manual with the bike?

• SC_Spode

Posted October 11, 2006 - 02:29 PM

thanks guys

Unless you own a sphincter shrinker, I'd recommend letting the gang here help you unless it's something you really can't tackle. Then, it may be cheaper to let someone that knows what they're doing handle it, to avoid costly repairs from ruined/damaged parts.

If you don't have the manual for it, go here to view one.

Buy a torque wrench. Sears has a decent, affordable 3/8" drive model that will handle most of your smaller fasteners and help keep you from breaking expensive items due to over-tightening.

Changing a plug is as easy as... changing a plug! However, you will find that you'll need a particular socket or plug wrench to get to that one. Don't be dismayed.

If you make $75-$80 an hour (after taxes; remember, you pay them with money after Uncle Sam gets his), don't mind taking it to the shop for every little thing and being at their mercy for when it's done - then by all means, take it to them.

But we'll be here just in case you decide not to. :devil:

• buzzgrizz

Posted October 11, 2006 - 04:55 PM

My son has a 00 426 and after you perfect the cranking procedure (as described in the thread above) it is NOT A PROBLEM.
As for the 20 min. warm up ? somethings wrong !!!

• slammmin72

Posted October 11, 2006 - 09:07 PM

Denniskirk.com, Rockymountainatv.com, Motosport.com, Motoworldracing.com and of course the TT store here on TT. should have everything u need to make a bike from scratch..(give or take a few bolts....)

• DIRTRIDER-5

Posted October 12, 2006 - 09:07 AM

:devil: ID have to to agree with you guys if you have any mechanic skills do what you can your self .get you manual on ebay for about twenty bucks,change plug,oil,coolant engine ice is good,id even go as far as canginging the gas out of the tank put some high octane back inn before start it. adjust carb .hoop things work keep us up dated.

• 426_kid

Posted October 12, 2006 - 10:13 AM

I won a 01 426f heres the basics... when startin cold twist the trottle once thats itjust a quick turn ... (after u turnon the fuel) pull your cold choke then decompress and kick... if you squeeze the trottle more than once the acceleratoer pump dump more gas then it floods then u have top pull and clean the plug...
( i know its pain) once it start don ttouch anything let it idle on the choke for about 5 mins then hold the trottle then take it off the choke give it a lil gas if u think its gunna stall if it stalls after you have been runnin it for a while pull the hot choke out decompress and kick. if you are quick enought sometimes u dont even need that... let me kno if u got any questions ill be glad to help

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.