Which Scotts

11 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:34 PM

i really like the idea of the submount dampner but heard its bad because it raised the bars about an inch. should i just do a regular one. also are you guys getting new tripple clamps or can i use stock ts with scott and some pro tapers
thanks
Aaron

ps what size pro tapers will fit if its stock

• clark4131

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:34 PM

I'm 6' even and the sub mount was one of the best things I did for my bike because of the way it raised the bars. It makes standing on the pegs that much more comfortable for longer periods. Not to mention, it provides for extremely durable protection of the damper and you won't rack your knee or your family jewels on it when you eject...SC

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 09, 2006 - 10:07 PM

ps what size pro tapers will fit if its stock

The stock clamps on the 06 WR are 7/8ths inch clamps. You either need the universal kit or a new top clamp to run fat bars. I have the universal kit mounted on my bike, you can looky in my garage.

Aaron, when are you gonna produce pics of this beast?

• GCannon

Posted October 10, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I have the Sub Mount I love it. Yes it did raise the bars probably more than an inch. I am 6'0" and it is much better riding position for me standing position is much much better. if you like low bars go with the standard mount.

The BRP/Scotts triple clamp stabilizer and pro taper bar combination is the way to go yes it is pricey but by far the best mod I made. Your arms and hands will love you. the pro tapers and the rubber mounted bar clamps are definitely worth the money and the stabilizer is gravy on top.

As far as which bar bend to get who knows there are so many. That is a personal choice

• tony1970

Posted October 10, 2006 - 03:58 PM

I just bought the standard Scotts mount for my WR and I love it. Their combo came with the triple clamp, stabilizer, bars and top clamp. Pricey but worth it. The reason I went with this instead of the sub mount is even with the low bend bar the mount felt high and back to me while riding on single track on my friends bike. I am 6' and run a mid bend bar and it feels great, but thats just me. If you do go this route Dirt-Bike-Gear.com sells a great pad that slips right over the stabilizer for $20 for protection. Also if you get the clamp combo and want to run the clamp in the forward position make sure you tell the salesman this. I had to send my top clamp back because the one they sent me was for the back position and stabilizer positioning is critical to a proper set up. You can't lose with either mount types...just do it! :devil:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:36 PM

when you go to bigger bars do you need to change the throttle tube?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tony1970

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:35 PM

when you go to bigger bars do you need to change the throttle tube?

No. The bar ends are the same size on both types.

• redrocket190

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:38 PM

GYT-R triple clamps and handlebar mounts. Bolt-on post. Pro Tapers Reed/Henry bend. Above bar mounting position. 5' 7" explains a lot.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:50 PM

One of the biggest mistakes I've made with my current bike (05 WR450) was to get the over the bar mount rather than the Sub mount. My father has the Sub mount on his 06 and it really makes the ergos nicer IMO. The 05 and 06 bar height has a tendency to feel a little on the short side, especially when standing up.. I would get the Sub mount for sure.. Even being a midget the Sub mount makes things nicer.. Of course IMO.....

• redrocket190

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:51 PM

...if you're worried about the extra height, dial it out with a low-rise bar bend. I agree the sub-mount approach protects the damper and the meat and two veg better.

• ARin

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:53 PM

One of the biggest mistakes I've made with my current bike (05 WR450) was to get the over the bar mount rather than the Sub mount. My father has the Sub mount on his 06 and it really makes the ergos nicer IMO. The 05 and 06 bar height has a tendency to feel a little on the short side, especially when standing up.. I would get the Sub mount for sure.. Even being a midget the Sub mount makes things nicer.. Of course IMO.....

im 6 foot even. i have the regular scotts mount, but coupled it with CR high-bend bars...and its pretty damn nice.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 11, 2006 - 02:37 AM

im 6 foot even. i have the regular scotts mount, but coupled it with CR high-bend bars...and its pretty damn nice.

That's one of the things I liked about the 04's, nice and roomy up front.. With the 05 and 06 any attemped at raising the front end helps... IMO

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.