Looking for suggestions on high heat engine paint

3 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I am trying to spruce up and resurrect a low mileage 93 XR650L that i acquired recently. It was in terrible shape cosmetically that i wasted no time in tearing it apart even before i can ride it. The frame is being powder coated somewhere. I am looking for suggestions as to the type of high heat paint to use on the engine. I have used Duplicolor high heat paint before but it does not withstand to solvents such as gasoline unless it is oven baked. I plan to paint the engine as is without tearing it down piece by piece. I have also heard about VHT high heat paint and Kryon and rustoleum barbq or stove paint, but i dont know which would last longer and better and withstand the heat emitted from the engine. By the way, my color of choice for the engine is red and silver or bronze. Any success stories out there? Thanks!

• DGA

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:58 PM

I wont trust anything from a rattlecan except VHT.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:46 PM

I am with DGA on this one vht, or powder coat.

• Huffa 2

Posted October 10, 2006 - 03:44 AM

I have also heard about VHT high heat paint and Kryon and rustoleum barbq or stove paint, but i dont know which would last longer and better and withstand the heat emitted from the engine. By the way, my color of choice for the engine is red and silver or bronze. Any success stories out there? Thanks!

You only want to use (just my opinion of course) a case paint that has a satin sheen to it. Use a flat or gloss and it will look terrible. Case paint is made for cycle motors.

http://www.caswellpl...ht/vht_oils.htm

I'm not sure if it will with stand head or cylinder temp though ??

A 93 you have so I'm assuming it's white and you want to paint it red or bronse?

Honestly, I think that will look gawdy and devalue the bike but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so if it makes YOU happy, go for it :devil:

A black motor would look really nice and the bit that does come off now and then you can just touch up but your best bet would be to stick with the silver which matches the motor BUT don't just buy any silver and slap it on as there might be a silver case paint also ??

Were you at least planning to tape off all surfaces that should not be painted ?

Once done I'd take out a few bolts, screws or what ever at a time and take the paint off them as that looks terrible when all the hardware is painted up. too.

Are you sure the engine needs painting?? A lot of times the cases will clean up real nice with fine steel wool, metal polish and a lot of work. The fins on cylinder I have already done with a wire brush and wire wheel. The brush gets between the fins and the wheel gets the outer edges.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.