Zip ties on forks

6 replies to this topic
  • doubleup16

Posted October 09, 2006 - 04:09 PM

This isn't really wr specific but why do people put zip ties on there forks? I've noticed it on dirt bikes and street bikes but only on those bikes with USD(upside down) forks. What the deal?

• new2blu

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:39 PM

The reason is for seeing how much of the supension travel was used during a ride.

• Aris

Posted October 09, 2006 - 10:03 PM

I don't know what it's used for on dirt bikes, but on street bikes people use them to measure the amount that the forks compress when the rider sits on the bike. This information helps you properly set the preload on the forks. The idea is that you want to set the preload so that the forks are right in the middle of their travel range when you're sitting on the bike. The tie wraps make doing this much easier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NavyNuke

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:51 AM

same for dirtbikes, just a tunning device that is dirt cheap and works.

• Cairn

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:43 AM

So...now I know "why," but not "how." How do you use the zip ties on the forks to measure suspension travel?

Thanks,

Cairn

• doubleup16

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:48 AM

Ok, that makes sense.

Basically you move the zip tie right up to the fork seals and then when you sit on the bike the forks will "sag" and move the zip tie down some amount. measure that amount and make adjustments.

• standup rider

Posted October 11, 2006 - 10:22 AM

I used the zip tie's on my rear shock shaft as well as my front fork tubes. It really let me know how much stroke I was using on both ends and helped me alot in adjusting my compression dampening. Found out I was to soft on the back and to hard on the front. Didn't realize it while I was riding it. Also showed me what my suspension does on fire roads versus tight single track. It really helped me in knowing where to make adjustments.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.