Carb problems on my xr650l

4 replies to this topic
  • Buckshot44

Posted October 09, 2006 - 01:23 PM

I just recently purchased this XR. It runs fine from 25-75mph but when downshifting it has a tendency to completely shut off, and at high Rpms it starts cutting out. It has a supertrapp with 8 disks, and the stock airbox and filter. When I bought it though the airbox was removed and it had a small UNI filter. It ran really bad with the smaller airfilter at high RPM's. My house is at 520 feet Above sea level, and work is at 3000. Any Suggestions.
Thank you
Buckshot44

• paulthelefty

Posted October 09, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Jetting...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:49 AM

To expand on lefty's reply-

It was likely jetted very rich to run without the airbox.
With any mods at all it might be rough to jet for the stock filter, not because of restriction but because the air intake on these XRLs is very finicky.

I'm guessing you'll need a 55 or 58 pilot jet, and about a 160 main jet with that combo.

While you're in there, make sure the 'Dave Mods' have been done.

All this assumes it has the stock CV carb.

Dave

• Rideaide

Posted October 10, 2006 - 04:19 PM

Check the jetting to see what you have. Maybe even clean the carb. I have had good resullts with the 41mm Mikuni flatslide carb. I can get you one for $190.00 set up. I would also check the CDI. They are notorious for failing. :devil:

• goblin127

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Check the jetting to see what you have. Maybe even clean the carb. I have had good resullts with the 41mm Mikuni flatslide carb. I can get you one for $190.00 set up. I would also check the CDI. They are notorious for failing. :devil:

Thats what I did love that carb. Thing starts first try even when its cold.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.