New Guy Here From Oregon/Washington

5 replies to this topic
  • turbowhine

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hey everybody! I'm goin' to pick up my new bike tomorrow: a used '94 XR650L. I'm really excited to ride on some mellow dirt roads to start with and work my way up in the genre. I've never ridden a dirt bike of any kind. I do a ton of street riding on an 'o3 RC51, mostly long trips and a few track days. I've been riding for about three years. I'm a younger guy @ 22 and I work as a merchant mariner (engineering). I love working on my own bikes, and anyone elses for that matter! This forum was recommended to me by a buddy and so far it's been great reading.

Here's a photo of myself above Hell's Canyon, Oregon taken this past August.

Posted Image

• Billahjack

Posted October 09, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Welcome!! I made the switch from a RC51 to a XR650R. Be careful on the street until you get some experience, it doesn't lean over as far in most conditions. I washed out my front in parking lots a few times screwing around. They take more maintenance than a street bike but its so much more fun when you can ride street and dirt on the same bike.

• justicedone

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:19 PM

I sold my 96 Cbr900rr in 04, for a mint (600mi) 2003 XR650L that was showroom new and bone stock. The bike has to be the best all around bike I have ever owned, and at 41yrs of age thats been about 15 bikes at least. Its a blast to ride especially when modded preoperly, and can go anywhere. You will love it especially where you live, since theres a ton of good adventuring to be had I can imagine.

I am sure your gonna like it on road too, its more comfortable sitting up and you can see traffic and sights so much better. Run a full synthetic oil, check level often and change oil about every 500-700mi. And adjust valves when needed, they are otherwise bulletproof.

Welcome to TT, post some pics when you get her. Got some pics in my garage as do many other members if you want mod ideas.
Laters

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, turbowhine.....Enjoy your new ride... :devil:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Welcome Turbowhine, nice screen name, I listen to my turbo whine every day, on my 1 ton Dodge mega cab, I have done a few mods on it and now you can really hear that turbo whine. :devil:

• turbowhine

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm gonna be reading all of the technical issue threads and listen closely for good maintenance tips, performance mods will come a'plenty after a few miles...Off the bat my bike needs new fork boots- was thinking about neoprene ones. And I'll weld up a little rack for the rear fender. I'm stoked to get out and throw some dirt around!
rebelventurer- of all the forums I post on, your one of the few to pick up on what my screen name means. You're right on. Some of the turbines on the ships' engines that I work on are over 8 feet in diameter and spinning at 12,000+ rpm make over 120db of noise! It's crazy! Over 50,000 hp two stroke diesels @ 1,000,000 ft/lb of torque.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.