'06 XR650L oil in airbox

12 replies to this topic
  • jbird710

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:54 AM

I've searched other threads but don't see a good answer. I removed the small canister and plumbed the crankcase vent directly to the air box. After every ride, when the bike is setting on the side stand, oil will drain out of the air box to the ground. I've checked the oil level on numerous occasions, exactly following the manual's procedure to the letter and it's never been too full. Of course, the harder ridden, the more oil comes out. I'm planning on re-installing the canister so maybe the oil will drain back into the crankcase. Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this? My neighbor has the same bike and removed his as well but doesn't have the oil in the air box problem I do. He runs his as hard as I do mine, but he has no leakage.

• cleonard

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:08 AM

As far as I know there are only two reasons for this. First is too much oil in the bike. I've never had much luch getting a good reading using the start and idle for a few minutes like my shop manual describes. I have to actually ride the bike for five ,or better ten, minutes to get a somewhat repeatable reading.

The second is combustion gasses leaking aroung the rings and carring some oil along as it goes out the crankcase breather. This is usually doesn't happen until a lot of miles have been racked up. I doubt that this is the case with an 2006 bike. It is possible that your rings never sealed well.

• wickedsprint

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:17 AM

Run compression tests on both bikes, if yours is signifigantly lower than his the above poster is likely right about the rings.

• jbird710

Posted October 09, 2006 - 11:49 AM

Run compression tests on both bikes, if yours is signifigantly lower than his the above poster is likely right about the rings.

That is a good idea. I'm fairly sure it's not an oil level issue because I have done both the instruction manual's way as well as checked it after a ride. I did have some problems with the bike running lean when I first got it and now you have me wondering if that may have affected the ring seating.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted October 09, 2006 - 12:02 PM

You probably used too much oil in your airfilter. Check that first before the other things. Check your crank case breather tube it is probably kinked. Just my 2 cents.

• motomonte

Posted October 09, 2006 - 03:15 PM

" I removed the small canister and plumbed the crankcase vent directly to the air box."

Where in the air box did you hooked up the hose?Upper or lower airbox vent connector?I hooked up mine to the lower connector and pluged the upper one.This was done acording to Gary's mods.Maybe this could help :thumbsdn: If trying this clean up the oil first and see what happens.Good luck :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jbird710

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:10 PM

You probably used too much oil in your airfilter. Check that first before the other things. Check your crank case breather tube it is probably kinked. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely not too much oil on the filter. I have a K&N and the oil for it is red. Oil leaking out is definitely Honda HP4. Tube isn't kinked. Thanks for the suggestions - you never know when you might have overlooked something.

Where in the air box did you hooked up the hose?Upper or lower airbox vent connector?I hooked up mine to the lower connector and pluged the upper one.This was done acording to Gary's mods.Maybe this could help If trying this clean up the oil first and see what happens.Good luck

Hose is in the lower connector. I'm still leaning toward the possible issue of blow-by on the rings. My neighbors bike and mine are identical except he still has the stock carb and I went to an Edelbrock. Even when I had the stock carb with the exact same jetting and mods as his, the two bikes ran different. His has always seemed to have a little more pull.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:14 PM

Something is wrong I have never had oil in my air box its a 04 L with just over 10000 miles. Do the compression test or even a leakdown. crankcase has to be under pressure for that to happen. could even be in the valvetrain!

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:59 PM

Is your airbox inlet restricted in any way?

Seat (or objects under the seat) closing off the snorkel or airbox hole?

Unconventional or non-stock airbox mods?

Reasoning is that the crankcase vent tube should not have a whole lot of vacuum on it. I'd imagine the climate in the crankcase would be containing a bunch of atomized oil, and if you are sucking that up into the airbox in enough volume, it'll collect as an oily mess.

• jbird710

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:37 AM

Something is wrong I have never had oil in my air box its a 04 L with just over 10000 miles. Do the compression test or even a leakdown. crankcase has to be under pressure for that to happen. could even be in the valvetrain!

I thought about the vavletrain but if it were a leaking intake vavle, seems like there would be pressure back through the carb on the compression stroke. Now if one of the valve guides were leaking, I could see this as a possibility but would think I'd see smoke in the exhaust and maybe oil on the muffler outlet.

Is your airbox inlet restricted in any way?

Seat (or objects under the seat) closing off the snorkel or airbox hole?

Unconventional or non-stock airbox mods?

Reasoning is that the crankcase vent tube should not have a whole lot of vacuum on it. I'd imagine the climate in the crankcase would be containing a bunch of atomized oil, and if you are sucking that up into the airbox in enough volume, it'll collect as an oily mess

Airbox seems to be clear and open, snorkel removed is the only mod.

I don't think it's so much as there is a vaccum from the airbox, more like pressure from the crank case. I'm planning on making time this evening to run a compression test. I'm sure there is some vaccum pulling up some vapor, but there is too much oil coming out just to be condensed vapor. Like one other suggested, I'd like to compare it to the compression on my neighbor's bike.

Thanks for both suggestions.

• jwriott

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Are you riding lots of long wheelies? My buddies XR650R dumps oil into the airbox when he does this.

• jbird710

Posted October 10, 2006 - 02:55 PM

Are you riding lots of long wheelies? My buddies XR650R dumps oil into the airbox when he does this.

Wish I could claim this but haven't mastered that on this bike yet.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:33 PM

I ride long wheelies all the time, no oil in my airbox!!
jbird did you do that compression test yet? should be 190 psi below 400rpms. with the decompression device working!
:devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.