Vapor computer

9 replies to this topic
  • pbusanga

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hi does anyone know which Protector / mount is used to fit the vapor to the XR650R.

Trailtech mention the use of protector mount # 022-PO5 but i cant find that on their website. :devil:

any feed back on the Vapor?

• Maroast

Posted October 09, 2006 - 12:19 PM

I have the vapor on my 06 xr650r and like it...as for the protector i use the 022-TM model with the stock top triple clamp...

However, I put bar risers on so I could run 1 1/8 bars and that protector doesn’t work with that setup...So I fabricated an adaptor (just a small piece of alum with holes in it) so I could mount the protector/computer to the two small threaded holes on the top triple clamp (I think one of the holes is where stock trip meter was mounted). The bolts that thread thought the adaptor and into the top clamp have nuts/washers on the underside for extra strength.

This is a solid setup and has survived months of riding and a pretty hard off-road wreck…its never given ANY problems… hope this helps. :devil:

-T

• pbusanga

Posted October 09, 2006 - 01:19 PM

thanks for info. did you have any trouble connecting the temp sensor to the engine. did you have to buy any extra parts. reason i am being so particular is that i am having the Vapor sent to me in Africa and it is not easy to get bits and pieces to make things fit

thanks in advance

• Maroast

Posted October 09, 2006 - 02:44 PM

did you have any trouble connecting the temp sensor to the engine.

did you have to buy any extra parts.

No problems whats-so-ever with the temp...just splice the sensor into the cooling line where it exits the engine...dont forget the read the infor book that comes with the comp...you have to do a special reset ionce the temp sensor is hooked up. I forgot to do this reset and the temp never came up...I thought the unit was broke.

I didnt need anything extra. Drilling the hole in the rotor was kinda hard though.

Anything else just ask away

• pburke

Posted October 09, 2006 - 03:28 PM

the hose clamps that come with the kit don't fit (too small) and the sensor unit is a little too small for the tubing on the XRR, so you have to build it up with some Teflon tape or something similar.

Once you work around these small issues it works great - shows me that I need a fan and that my thermostat is probably stuck open

Peter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rick_Laut

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:33 PM

I just got a Vapor last week and had no difficulty with it. I got it with the 022-P04 mount. I have Pro-Taper bars with the risers for the stock triple clamp. The mount works, but I have to orient the one of the risers backwards to make the width between the allen bolts match the width of the mount.

As for the water temperature sensor.... the clamps were a little small, but they still worked. I didn't build up the diameter of the temperature sensor and haven't had any problems with leaks.

I love the computer.... tested it on a 140 mile ride this past weekend!

Rick

• frankstr

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:52 PM

Lets see some pics of the Vapor mounted up....... :devil:

• XRMANU

Posted October 12, 2006 - 03:06 AM

I have installed my Vapor on my 650R.
Some questions: -pulse per revolution: 0.5 ,1 or 2 on the 650? Default on 4st is 1 ,on 2st also 1?? :devil:
- does change the PPR over certain RPM's (step 2 PPR Vapor manual).
- yellow shift rpm's led : is 6500 a 7000 rpm good for SM/street use?
- red led (over shift) : 8000 rpm?
- high temp warning point: is the default 90°C (190° F)ok ?
- over temp danger point: is the default 110°C (230°F)ok ?
Thanks. :thumbsdn:

• pburke

Posted October 12, 2006 - 07:17 AM

I have installed my Vapor on my 650R.
Some questions: -pulse per revolution: 0.5 ,1 or 2 on the 650? Default on 4st is 1 ,on 2st also 1?? :devil:
- does change the PPR over certain RPM's (step 2 PPR Vapor manual).
- yellow shift rpm's led : is 6500 a 7000 rpm good for SM/street use?
- red led (over shift) : 8000 rpm?
- high temp warning point: is the default 90°C (190° F)ok ?
- over temp danger point: is the default 110°C (230°F)ok ?
Thanks. :thumbsdn:

leave the pulse stuff on default - worked for me.

shift light - I have the yellow at 6000 and see it quite frequently. I think the red is at 7500 just to keep me sane. Really up to you. You can change this stuff quite easily to match your riding.

temps - depends again on your riding. 190 degrees for yellow will come on quite easily, at least it does for me. I have the red at 220 just to warn me early enough. So far I have not seen that light come on.

I was thinking of doubling the rpm numbers with the pulse setting so the bar graph on the vapor would get used more effectively, however, I look at the digital rpm readout more than the bar anyway, so I just left it alone.

Have to edit my front tire diameter again - GPS tells me my VAPOR underindicates by about 3mph at 55.

• azfabguy

Posted October 12, 2006 - 09:38 PM

i made my vapor mount out of some stainless that i bent up

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.