Any Lowboy Peg For 06 YZ450F

9 replies to this topic
  • bumknee

Posted October 09, 2006 - 04:35 AM

Search is evidently on the fritz - so could not look at archives.

I was all set to purchase the Fastway pegs and then I noticed on their web site that they cannot be set to lowboy on the 2006 YZ450F.

Can anyone recommend any other mfg that has a peg that can be set lower on the 06

I am 6’3 and need the room.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:55 AM

I have mine set on the lowboy position.

• WFOracer

Posted October 09, 2006 - 05:57 AM

How about a tall seat...I know you can get an SDG through BTO Sports for about $80. I am 6-3 also, I have mine on order. Should be here this week. I also run a taller bar, the stockers are so short.

• SCIENCE

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:07 AM

Search is evidently on the fritz - so could not look at archives.

I was all set to purchase the Fastway pegs and then I noticed on their web site that they cannot be set to lowboy on the 2006 YZ450F.

Can anyone recommend any other mfg that has a peg that can be set lower on the 06

I am 6’3 and need the room.

I have an '07 YZ250 and was in the same predicament. I ended up getting a set of LightSpeed 57mm wide steel pegs and lowered them. Basically, you need to cut the barrel off of the pegs and relocate it to the top,switch the springs (left one goes right side and vice/versa), the pins need a lot of grease as well. You'll need to get out the hacksaw and dremel and or grinder as the inside pointed end of the peg (where it hits the frame) needs to be cut and smoothed to clear the lower bolt head that holds the peg bracket on the aluminum frame. (this is why the Fastways don't work) .
Couple this mod with 10mm taller bar clamps and a tall seat and you should have plenty of room.

• mobius

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:26 AM

SCIENCE is right about the foot peg mod. I have had two sets of Fastway pegs and wont buy them again. They are a pain to change the Allen screw gripper teeth when they wear down. Also I have broke the bolts for the canter adjustment on both pair. I always take the foot peg bracket off the bike and then counter sink the bottom bolt hole. I then reinstall the bracket with a tapered flat bolt that uses a Allen wrench. This makes for a clean install.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SurvivorMan

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Science, how do you like that 250 smoker? i just picked up a slightly used (15 hours) 06 yz 250 and love it. definately a smaller platform stock for the tall guys versus the 06 yz 450. i am 6'3" and found I didn't have to go to a tall seat on the 450 once i lowered the pegs, but the smoker needs it all extended; bars, pegs and seat. the vforce really picks up the bottom end, but ever since riding this 450, every 2 stroke i get on has got nothing at the bottom. but the 250 does feel like a bmx!!

• NotOnCall

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Fastway told me that they are coming out with a kit to let us lower the pegs here in a couple of weeks. Not sure if this is BS or not :devil:

• bumknee

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Science,

I ordered a Moose Handlebar extension today.

It doesn't sound like the mod needed to the footpegs to make em fit is too bad. A good excuse to get the grinder out of the gear box and let some sparks fly.

Thanks for the advice

• SCIENCE

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:25 AM

Science, how do you like that 250 smoker? i just picked up a slightly used (15 hours) 06 yz 250 and love it. definately a smaller platform stock for the tall guys versus the 06 yz 450. i am 6'3" and found I didn't have to go to a tall seat on the 450 once i lowered the pegs, but the smoker needs it all extended; bars, pegs and seat. the vforce really picks up the bottom end, but ever since riding this 450, every 2 stroke i get on has got nothing at the bottom. but the 250 does feel like a bmx!!

I just picked it up last week and have been prepping it. Weather permitting, I'll get out a couple times this week. I rode YZ250's only for years up until 2003 when The 4 stroke bug bit me. Had an '03 YZ250f & an '04 & '06 CRF450R. All great bikes, but after riding a friends '06 YZ, I thought it would increase my fun factor to have one. I didn't have the mechanical problems that many had w/their CRF's, and certainly don't expect that it will have the low end of my 450's. I don't have time to race much anymore, so I thought it would be great for track days and the occasional race/Hare Scramble. Fun is the bottom line at my age!
You're right about the cockpit. I'm just under 6'3" and taller bar mounts/bars/lowered pegs and tall seat are in order. I haven't got my foam yet. I had heard that the '06 and '07 YZ's had 10mm higher foam stock. I intend to call Guts to verify. Other than springs the only other mod I'm making (for now!) is the addition of the GYTR flywheel weight. My friend's bike had a 9oz Steahley and hooked up very well.

• SCIENCE

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Thanks Science,

I ordered a Moose Handlebar extension today.

It doesn't sound like the mod needed to the footpegs to make em fit is too bad. A good excuse to get the grinder out of the gear box and let some sparks fly.

Thanks for the advice

No problem. Take your time and good luck.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.