426 steering/turning

4 replies to this topic
  • SRT426

Posted October 09, 2006 - 03:47 AM

I was gonna do a search for this but searching was disabled so I'll post it here. I've got a 01 426 that I need help getting to turn. I thought I read somewhere to raise the fork in the trees to help? Some of it is technique I need to work on but some is the bike too, the front end just never seems real planted. Thanks for any advice

• 642MX

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Start with setting your sag.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:07 AM

What front tire are you using? If a Dunlop 739FA or G - Scrap it and go with a 752 or Maxiss IT. Anything other that what the bike comes with stock, Also - I had my suspension redone and can't believe the difference in made in Turning/Steering. Single best mod to date I have done on my 426. Also make sure to get as much weight up front on the tank when turning. Makes a big big difference since these bikes have a tendency to be a little top heavy.

• kizzle426

Posted October 09, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Along with some of the other things suggested, you may need to take a look at how much you weigh. Do you have much play in the clickers or are you having to turn the clickers all the way in for the most part? If you bottom frequently or you can't get the front end to settle, you may want to consider stiffer fork springs if you weigh more than 190 or so. I haven't messed with the back shock a whole lot as it never really bottomed, but my forks needed stiffer springs bad. I weigh about 220ish and since they were put in I can adjust more accurately and I can pretty much point the front end in a direction and it'll go there. Just some thoughts for you.

• battles2a5

Posted October 22, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Kizzle- I am going to have to get some new springs and I weigh about the same as you. What weight springs did you go for and where did you get them?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.