06 450f

10 replies to this topic
  • dirtking

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Just wondering what the best air filter to run? OEM has a tear in it. Also would a reusable oil filter be better than paper filters. If so what kind? What kind of grease do you use to grease the steering stem bearings and swingarm bearings? Thanks

• 02YZ426

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:38 PM

I would go with a No Toil air filter... they are super easy to clean, last almost forever and offer great protection. For the oil filter, I use the Comp Flow.... it even comes with a fancy cover too. The filter is a very high quality piece.

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Air filter: Twin Air, White Bros, or any other high quality, dual layer, dual density foam filter. Which oil, how well it's oiled, and how frequently it's cleaned and re-oiled are actually more important than which filter. I recommend Maxima FFT.

Oil filter: Scotts. Accept no substitutes. And yes, IMO, they are better than paper:

• SC_Spode

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:08 AM

I'll second the Twin Air and Maxima FFT.

Been using this combo for over 20 years and have never ingested dirt. The TA's also last a long time.
Of course, I'm also more anal than a proctologist about the maintenance of it, so I'm sure that doesn't hurt. :devil:

• x2stroker

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I run Twin Air filters and Scott's reuseable oil filter. :devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtking

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info! I was also wondering what kind of grease to use on the steering stem bearings?

• Bigcr

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Bel-ray or maxima waterproof grease works very well.

• dirtking

Posted October 10, 2006 - 03:42 PM

For the twin air filter do you guys run the pro flow kit with the aluminum cage and the filter with the backfire screen laminated already in the filter or just the air filter? thanks again for all the help!

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:47 PM

I use a "normal" filter and the OEM screen. Tests of my own and an extensive project by Doug Henry's '04 SM bike builders found no advantage to removing the screen. It's a waste of money.

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:52 PM

3rd vote for the twin air, screen in, with maxima fft filter oil.

I also use filter skins in ultra dusty conditions.

• barch88

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:49 PM

I use TwinAir in my '06, love it. I only got to use it about once so far though, because on my 2nd time out I crashed, and now have broken bones...I use the regular screen and all that.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.