2006 yz450f overheating problem

7 replies to this topic
  • astrofil

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:20 PM

I have overheating problem with my 06 yz450f when I go into the woods or go on the low speeds . My body has a 2003 yz250 and has no any problem with overheating even if hi gets stack and has hard time to get out of the woods.
Is something wrong with my bike or that`s normal becouse of not enough air flow at the low speeds. I have even replaced colant for Ice Cool antifreeze. After that runs little bit better but finally overheats in the woods.

Anybody can give me some ideas ?

• 02YZ426

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:43 PM

The YZ will get hot if your putting around in the woods. Those rads need air flow to keep the engine cool otherwise it will overheat. You could always try some engine ice and water wetter and see if that helps.

• SC_Spode

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:48 PM

You really can't compare the two bikes in this area.

It's all about BTU's - how much heat is produced, transferred to the coolant and then convected to the air. The key to the convection is airflow, which is decreased at low speeds.

I think it's a reasonable to assume that the 450 produces more heat than the 250. If you aren't experiencing overheating with the 250 under the same conditions, then the cooling system is adequate and would appear to have a larger "buffer" for these conditions than the 450.

Ideas -

Make sure the system is free of air.

Larger radiators (expensive).

Boyesen impeller (more efficient flow, transferring more heat to system)

Use the stock louvers to direct air through the radiators if you aren't already.

If it's really bad, perhaps find a way to install a battery operated cooling fan, but I suspect this would involve a lot of effort.

:devil:

• PK

Posted October 08, 2006 - 10:47 PM

Are you sitting and idling a lot? Mine does fine as long as I don't sit and let it idle excessively. I have my idle set fairly low which I'm sure doesn't hurt. I have never boiled over and the trails here in Hawaii are extremely tight and technical with monster hill climbs. Don't let the bike sit and idle for long periods of time and if you get hung up on something, don't redline the bike trying to get out. My buddy does that with his CRF and that bike is constantly overheating.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Crash 2006

Posted October 08, 2006 - 11:43 PM

I have overheating problem with my 06 yz450f when I go into the woods or go on the low speeds . My body has a 2003 yz250 and has no any problem with overheating even if hi gets stack and has hard time to get out of the woods.
Is something wrong with my bike or that`s normal becouse of not enough air flow at the low speeds. I have even replaced colant for Ice Cool antifreeze. After that runs little bit better but finally overheats in the woods.

Anybody can give me some ideas ?

How do you know when it over heats?

• astrofil

Posted October 09, 2006 - 04:25 AM

I do not idle a lot, if I do it`s overheat. I do known it`s overheats couse is bubling and steam is going out.

• ncmountainman

Posted October 10, 2006 - 06:39 AM

EVANS NPG-R,they're right up there in joisey :devil:

• yama426rider

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:10 PM

if your going slow and not gettin much air to the radiators then its going to overheat pretty fast my 426 did this too and still does but not as easy. I changed my main jet a size bigger to make it run a little richer and that helped it alot
maybe u can try that

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.