Unluckies bike owner...

6 replies to this topic
  • stoneagegixer

Posted October 08, 2006 - 05:59 PM

That would be me. I always have problems with my bikes. It doesn't matter if they are 2 years old or 10. You've already heard about my verbal diarrhia regarding the leaky rad, problems starting, carb problems now this:

Ok,
I barely put 200 km on my motard and I ran into a big problem. Both bolts came loose from my caliper during a very short ride. The top one fell out. I didn't know it was gone. I applyed brakes (I'm usually pretty hard on them) and felt bad chatter. I pulled over. The caliper fell forwards and ground a bit on the rotar. :devil: The lower caliper bolt was so loose it twisted and cracket the Fork tube caliper braket. I've looked it over and I think a good welder might be able to help. If I can't get a welder to repair it, does anyone here have lower left fork tube for the xr650r? What other forks are the same as the 2000 xr650r? xr600r??? Thank you in advance.

Lubos

• 4Takt

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:28 AM

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not unlucky, just stupid.

• StevePierson

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Bro...

Your not dumb as that other gerk said,,,, we all do stuff like this.

Listen man,,,,, ALWAYS,, I MEAN always use Locktight " Blue" on every single nut - bolt - screw etc... It sounds like its was not used on the caliper bolts and the vibration worked the bolts free. If you make this a habit, it will have a
significant impact on the number of things going wrong.

Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stoneagegixer

Posted October 10, 2006 - 05:04 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're not unlucky, just stupid.

That is harsh.. :devil:
I can laugh it off though. I've had about 6 bikes and never had to use lock tite...so that is why I didn't use it that time. I guess this is my introduction to big singles. I've learned my lesson.

Anyway: ANYONE OUT THERE HAS THE LEFT BOTTOM FORK TUBE FOR SALE: WELDING IT MIGHT NOT BE MY BEST OPTION. :thumbsdn:

• rebelventurer

Posted October 10, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Look on ebay you can probably pick up the whole set for what a dealer would charge for just the leg. And your right welding cast aluminum just weakens it, will break again and you may not be as fortunate. I think you have good luck if the caliper would have came loose at speed you may have not been able to type this thread.
Stevepierson, what on earth is going on with the young lady in your avatar?

• sorenlaf

Posted October 11, 2006 - 07:34 AM

That is harsh.. :devil:
I can laugh it off though. I've had about 6 bikes and never had to use lock tite...so that is why I didn't use it that time. I guess this is my introduction to big singles. I've learned my lesson.
:thumbsdn:

I don't use locktite on every fastener, but I do use it (or similar) on all critical fasteners: rotor bolts, caliper bolts, engine mount bolts. Street or dirt, it doesn't matter.

I'm also a big believer in safety wire (road racing will do that to you), so many things on my bikes get drilled and wired, e.g. drain plugs, where I don't want to use locktite.

• frankstr

Posted October 11, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Like I say, If not for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all....
It just pays to do regular maintance...checking thing out before that ride or race......

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.