Headlight bulb keeps blowing

5 replies to this topic
  • Billy Reed

Posted October 07, 2006 - 09:36 PM

My headlight bulb keeps blowing out. Last time I replaced it with a Yamaha specific bulb...it burned ok for about 10 minutes during which I ran and shut the bike off a couple of times...and then burned out. This is the third headlight bulb I've stuck in it with the same results.
Any ideas on solutions or fairly simple troubleshooting??
Billy Reed

• Asgeir

Posted October 08, 2006 - 03:45 AM

What is the voltage going to the bulb while the motor is running. Maybe it is too high.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted October 08, 2006 - 04:37 AM

Check voltage. The headlamsp uses a seperate AC coil, unregulated to generate electricity for the lighting. If you have a failed tail lamp, this will result in extra for the headlamps. Also, make sure the connections are good. I had a KDX that ate bulbs. It was a poor connection at the bulbs, heat generated would melt the little solder nubs on the buld creating an open or sending het insire the bulb destroying it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ibis

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:20 PM

The AC voltage to the headlight and taillight is regulated at ~13.5 volts. I had the same problem of blowing out bulbs and the cause was the regulator went kaput and was putting out 17+ volts AC. Replaced the regulator and all is well.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted October 09, 2006 - 04:44 AM

Bad voltage regulator. These things happen.

• babyspankynhb

Posted October 09, 2006 - 01:17 PM

Did you touch the glass part of the bulb while putting it in? On automotive bulbs, if you touch the glass while putting it in your bulb will blow out in a VERY short time.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.