2000 YZ426 w/white bros e series...NOISE!?

28 replies to this topic
  • felix 222

Posted October 07, 2006 - 07:25 PM

i'm looking into a used 2000 426f with a white bros e series pipe. i live in california and the regulated decibel restriction is 96db. i will be using the bike at hollister hills. does anyone have any experience with this pipe? do you think passing the noise level is a possibility? do they enforce the regulation? thanks.

• slammmin72

Posted October 07, 2006 - 07:43 PM

i have an 02' YZ426 and i bought it with that exhaust aswell (also came with a Qseries FMF aswell, and now i know why) for some reason the 426 are a louder than normal bike. i was pulled over last weekend for jumping up and onto the road (on accident of course) and was pulled over and given a warning. he also noticed the E-series pipe and said it wouldnt pass. and he was right. mine blew a 104 dB...the limit is 96. i hade about 14plates in it too. so i took all of them out except 5..and finally got it to pass at 96.3 dB., but hten the bike ran like crap..... its an awesome pipe, and the bike runs great with it(with all 14 plates), but im tired of being hassled over it. and i know for a fact that hollister is gonna crack down more than carnegie cause htey just lost a huge lawsuit from the people buliding houses at the entrance of hollister (stupid place to build a house and hten complain about it.......neways, that alone deserves a different tread) so to answer ur question: the pipe it too loud for the use at hollister and everywhere else unless ur on a track racing(then they allow 98dB i think) and yes they do enfoce it. hope this helps

• felix 222

Posted October 07, 2006 - 08:22 PM

yes it did, thank you

• Fastest1

Posted October 08, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Sounds like a supertrapp, if it is the same principle, then you should expect the 14 plates to exceed the limits. Have you tried rejetting after you removed the discs/plates? Restricting the airflow that much (5 discs instead of 14) would make alot of difference without a change in the mixture. You could regain some of that lost power I am sure.

• felix 222

Posted October 08, 2006 - 09:49 AM

Sounds like a supertrapp, if it is the same principle, then you should expect the 14 plates to exceed the limits. Have you tried rejetting after you removed the discs/plates? Restricting the airflow that much (5 discs instead of 14) would make alot of difference without a change in the mixture. You could regain some of that lost power I am sure.

you believe this will work with little power loss?

i was looking into a FMF Q series pipe but i'm sure it will be hard to find...and expensive. i am not sure if the FMF Q series will pass the test either...

• kizzle426

Posted October 08, 2006 - 08:06 PM

I run 5 plates on my 426 and I rejetted for it. I lost almost no power. I came from a powercore IV which gave me a lot of bottom. This gives me more mid and top and I barely lost any bottom. Bottom line is it is more tractable and easier to ride while being under 97 Db. I'll sacrifice a little bit of bottom power in order to save my right to ride.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:40 AM

i'm looking into a used 2000 426f with a white bros e series pipe. i live in california and the regulated decibel restriction is 96db. i will be using the bike at hollister hills. does anyone have any experience with this pipe? do you think passing the noise level is a possibility? do they enforce the regulation? thanks.

Bought an E-Series for my 426 mid-summer of this year. Yes it is loud as hell. I couldn't believe how much louder it was than stock. I doubt it would pass any 96 db test regardless of the plate combination you use. I bought mine mainly for the spark arrestor that comes with it. Sound tests aren't big here in Indiana but I believe that is going to change soon. As mentioned, we all need to work on preserving the right to ride and keeping the sound level as quiet as possible. It may not be the pipe for you.

I only ran mine with the plates installed a couple of times (Spark arrestor was required where I was riding) and was amazed in the difference. I ran 6 plates and it was like going from a YZ426 to a WR with the flick of switch. Good for the woods but just doesn't cut it for the MX track and wide open riding. I run mine wide-open with no plates about 90% of the time and really like the power. (Private land and closed course tracks/racing) Much stronger hit than the stock pipe and awesome power delivery.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:47 AM

Yes it is loud as hell. I couldn't believe how much louder it was than stock.

White Brothers seems to have a way with that. Some of the loudest "muffled" exhausts I've ever heard. An R4 will make your ears bleed.

• 642MX

Posted October 09, 2006 - 08:34 AM

An R4 will make your ears bleed.

Very true! I have a friend with a 400SX thats equipted with a R4. That thing is painfully loud with fresh packing. I think they fianlly quit making R4's, didn't they?

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2006 - 09:02 AM

I think they fianlly quit making R4's, didn't they?

I certainly hope so. I'd rather run an open exhaust. At least it would sound better instead of just being loud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XHMXR

Posted October 09, 2006 - 10:23 PM

I certainly hope so. I'd rather run an open exhaust. At least it would sound better instead of just being loud.

Osha standards only allow being exposed to 105 db for 1 hour during a workday. They have found that these high db levels not only cause hearing loss, permanent tinnitus (ringing in the ears) but also cause high blood pressure and cardiac impact (change of heart rhythm) in addition it causes vasoconstriction (associated with erectile dysfunction) and agressive behavior. You can run open exhaust if you want too but it will gradually get quieter anyway (you will or have already lost your hearing) and you probably wont even notice it. I would suggest you cap the bike up and help us all save our riding areas. Its getting to the point that the spectators at the events that are running uncapped are complaining. When they stop paying to get in this will probably have a profound impact on the people that are paying the purses to the people that win the events.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 09, 2006 - 10:39 PM

Osha standards only allow being exposed to 105 db for 1 hour during a workday. They have found that these high db levels ... in addition it causes vasoconstriction (associated with erectile dysfunction) and agressive behavior.

In summary, a loud pipe will make you limp and irratable. That should be reason enough to get down to 96db.

On these bikes its all about the Q or Q2. My cousins buddy had a Q on his 426 (sold it) and you can actually carry a conversation while the bike was idleing. A 426 with a WB E series or a PC T-4 and it is a different story

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 09, 2006 - 10:44 PM

and i know for a fact that hollister is gonna crack down more than carnegie cause htey just lost a huge lawsuit from the people buliding houses at the entrance of hollister (stupid place to build a house and hten complain about it.......neways, that alone deserves a different tread)

While it is pretty asinine to build houses in the vicinity of an OHV park as long as you are within the legal limit you have nothing to worry about.

• Pat Jackson

Posted October 10, 2006 - 03:46 AM

Won't pass sound..........

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2006 - 06:57 AM

You can run open exhaust if you want ....

My point was that the WB R4 is not significantly quieter than an open pipe, and between the two, I'd as soon run it open. given the choice, I would and do run quieter exhausts. Or did you miss that?

• elcamino76

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:56 AM

Do you guys know the DB rating on the R4 or do you just know that it is really loud??

• kizzle426

Posted October 10, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Am I the only one whose E-Series is right at 96Db? It took some jetting work and a Quickshot pump cover but it actually runs very well off the bottom with 5 plates. Oh crap. I just remembered I put the quiet insert in mine too. It was pretty loud before I did that.

• slammmin72

Posted October 10, 2006 - 04:29 PM

after my jetting kit, i put thte eseries back on, with only 5 plates (it passes @ 96.3dB) and it runs great now(well it did on the street, ill have to really test it out htis weekend. oh yea, the E series with 14 plates in it echoed in my helmet (that specic pipe has a very distinct sound) and it acutally got annoying after about 30 mins of riding.....id run my Q -series pipe, but i cant find the rear muffler hanger bracket thing(and it doesnt work without it...the muffler ends up looseing itself and hits the tire adn what not...)...and hte WB pipe has 2 nice mounting brackets welded to the muffler.

• felix 222

Posted October 15, 2006 - 02:55 PM

i went to hollister yesterday. we went right through the gate with no issues.
7 plates and a quiet core.

• David37

Posted October 15, 2006 - 08:40 PM

I used to have a WB R4, has to be one of the loudest pipes every sold! Most WB E-Series pipes will have a hard time passing the 96db sound requirement in California. The two pipes that will pass the 96 db test are the WB E2 and the FMF Q2. IMO spend the money on a quiet pipe and then enjoy the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.