What sag are you guys running on 06450?

12 replies to this topic
  • robsgt

Posted October 07, 2006 - 04:37 PM

I've never even checked the sag on my bike yet. I wanted to get a feel for it and let everything break in good although I don't really have that much amount of time on it. I know theres no magic setting just trying to get a baseline. The only small problem I'm having is the front end knifeing in on turns. Also the front forks seem to be real harsh on small bumps. I'm 5'8 about 180 btw.

• hagracer

Posted October 07, 2006 - 05:07 PM

105mm.Our bike was also tucking under at 100mm.Switched to 105 and tested,night and day difference.I would never have bet that 5mm would make such a difference.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2006 - 05:25 PM

It's almost like we're not talking about the same bike here. Ours has never knifed in or tucked, or even close to it, and the fork is extraordinarily supple over the small stuff. It makes a world of difference in the way the front wheel stays planted and tracking over a ragged surface.

We run 98mm rear sag (measured with my 175 lb son on it) and I don't change it when I ride it (I weight 180 most of the time). We run the forks pulled up 5mm, also. Before these two changes were made, it pushed a bit more than we wanted, and the steering was a little "fuzzy". Now, it's like a good sports coupe. It does what you want when you want it done. It's the most neutral steering MX bike I can remember having ever been on. Maybe, depending on what you rode before, you're confusing the fact that it turns so willingly, and the front end tracks so well as cutting in, because you're used to more understeer.

On the forks, move your compression clickers to the middle of the range, and try removing 5cc of oil from the outer chamber of each fork.

• robsgt

Posted October 07, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Yeah this thing really turns good. I'm coming off of 04 yz250 which I think turned really good but never would tuck in on me like this bike thats why I'm trying to get some pointers on setting up this bike. Can't wait to try out some diff. settings and get this thing feeling good for me. Thanks guys.

• 02YZ426

Posted October 07, 2006 - 06:04 PM

I have mine set to 95mm and its perfect for me right there. I weigh in at 170lbs.

• barch88

Posted October 07, 2006 - 06:31 PM

98mm of sag.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msteele

Posted October 07, 2006 - 06:48 PM

I run mine at 98MM with the forks pushed up in the clamps to the first line. MXA recommended this setup and it has worked out great for me. The bike pushed in the corners until I put the sag at 98MM. I weith 180 and the bike was at 107MM from the factory.

Mike

• SC_Spode

Posted October 07, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Before these two changes were made, it pushed a bit more than we wanted, and the steering was a little "fuzzy". Now, it's like a good sports coupe. It does what you want when you want it done. It's the most neutral steering MX bike I can remember having ever been on. Maybe, depending on what you rode before, you're confusing the fact that it turns so willingly, and the front end tracks so well as cutting in, because you're used to more understeer.

gray,

How is the cornering and feel compared to your 03 YZF?

I really like the way my 03 YZ4 bites in the corner. It always feels secure, planted and predictable, especially compared to my 03 CRF4 which feels vague and occasionally washes. It's very noticeable when riding them back to back.

:devil:

• SC_Spode

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:09 PM

Bump...

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:18 PM

gray,

How is the cornering and feel compared to your 03 YZF?

I really like the way my 03 YZ4 bites in the corner. It always feels secure, planted and predictable, especially compared to my 03 CRF4 which feels vague and occasionally washes. It's very noticeable when riding them back to back.

:devil:

It feels as though 10 years of normal chassis evolution took place overnight. The two bikes are worlds apart in handling. The '06 turns better, turns easier, turns tighter, and pushes far less than my '03 with offset clamps, and is more stable in the bargain. It will rail corners if you want, powerslide if you want, push the front if you want, drift both wheels if you want, and do just about any other damn thing you want, and it seems like all you have to do is want. Totally amazing. I was in love with it in two laps.

• SC_Spode

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:27 PM

It feels as though 10 years of normal chassis evolution took place overnight. The two bikes are worlds apart in handling. The '06 turns better, turns easier, turns tighter, and pushes far less than my '03 with offset clamps, and is more stable in the bargain. It will rail corners if you want, powerslide if you want, push the front if you want, drift both wheels if you want, and do just about any other damn thing you want, and it seems like all you have to do is want. Totally amazing. I was in love with it in two laps.

Good to hear. :devil:

I always felt my YZF felt like the front end was bolted to the ground compared to my CRF. If the '06 is that much better again, I can't wait to spend some time on it.

:thumbsdn:

• aford541

Posted October 08, 2006 - 09:35 PM

100mm for me. 6.2 rear spring. .50 fronts

• Ga426owner

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:12 AM

100mm - 103mm for me....turns fantastic.... :devil:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.