Timing a 450??? WTF????

9 replies to this topic
  • ShadyatBest

Posted October 06, 2006 - 06:08 PM

So I just replaced the piston and cams in my buddies '05 wr450 and we are trying to time it. The manual says to line up the mark with the groove in the cover but there are 3 marks on the flywheel. The first 2 marks are connected with a line between them and the third mark is about a cm past that and it is by itself. So which line do i use on the flywheel?
I tried searching for this but the search function has been disabled due to heavy traffic

• Gadsen

Posted October 06, 2006 - 06:46 PM

So I just replaced the piston and cams in my buddies '05 wr450 and we are trying to time it. The manual says to line up the mark with the groove in the cover but there are 3 marks on the flywheel. The first 2 marks are connected with a line between them and the third mark is about a cm past that and it is by itself. So which line do i use on the flywheel?
I tried searching for this but the search function has been disabled due to heavy traffic

Usually, its the last mark. The 2 side by side are usually for timing ignition, while the other is for timing the cam to crank. But I dont know this for sure. I know its that way on every bike I have ever timed, just havent time a WR yet.

• clark4131

Posted October 06, 2006 - 06:48 PM

Use the solo vertical line. It's usually referred to as the "I" and the other is the "H". There are punch marks on the cams that should be lined up with the cylinder head surface on the outside of each cam gear. Looking from the rear of the cams, the lobes should be pointed outward, in opposite directions...SC

• Gadsen

Posted October 06, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Use the solo vertical line. It's usually referred to as the "I" and the other is the "H". There are punch marks on the cams that should be lined up with the cylinder head surface on the outside of each cam gear. Looking from the rear of the cams, the lobes should be pointed outward, in opposite directions...SC

Yes, in fact, the lobes will be at 10 and 2 oclock, 12 oclock being straight up. Dont run out and bump the e=start, still roll it over by hand easily and feel for any colliding parts, ie valves and pistons.
:devil:

• ShadyatBest

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:30 PM

thanks. That is what i was looking for.
Any tricks on getting the chain onto the cam. Even with the chain tensioner removed i stil have to tilt the cam up in order to get the chain ontopt he sprocket

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted October 07, 2006 - 05:14 AM

thanks. That is what i was looking for.
Any tricks on getting the chain onto the cam. Even with the chain tensioner removed i stil have to tilt the cam up in order to get the chain ontopt he sprocket

Nope. That's basically how you do it. Tilt the cams forward, put the chain on and set the cams down in the bearings. It's really pretty easy once you do it a couple of times.

• ShadyatBest

Posted October 07, 2006 - 09:15 AM

its alive. I found a site that said there should be 13 links between the 2 cams. This fixed everyting.
Thanks fellas

• agermaney

Posted October 07, 2006 - 02:34 PM

Hi Shadyatbest,
Im about to fit a new exhaust cam and was wondering what problems your mate was having with his and how the new ones sound. Any info much appreciated.

Andy.

• ShadyatBest

Posted October 07, 2006 - 03:27 PM

the sound is the same. We just went with hot cams and a 13.5:1 piston for some more power. The bike rips now

• Audun

Posted October 08, 2006 - 04:42 AM

Ive just mounted my Hotcam exhaust, some say you need the intake cam as well to get some real power gain out of it!

The only ting u need to be careful about when mounting he new cam is make shure u dont drop anyting into the engine.. There is a clip under the camshaft cap u need to be aware of, i almost lost it into the engine.. Use the users manual.. and u will see it! And remember to fasten the chain to the intake cam sprocket.. that way u dont loose the timing.. as I did! (NOOOB). And be careful when remounting the shain tensioner. U dont whnt the chain to be to thight( if that is the proper word?)

Hoping for somefeedback on how youre engine is running afterwards (power increase and so on!).. Im still waiting for my impellershaft..:devil:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.