Stainless oil filters

13 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:02 AM

WHY IS THE SEARCH OPTION DISABLE 90% OF THE TIME? Ok who runs stainless filters and do you like. The best filtering capability i found was down to 35 microns on a stainless filter. That was a compflow. Paper filters claim to filter down to 10 microns. Whats the best stainless filter. I want as many opinions as possible please.

• DGA

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:14 AM

i use the ready racing SS filter. I like it. I think scotts performance is the best but its a bit more pricey.

• cleonard

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:27 AM

I wouldn't sweat the filter too much. Whatever you use should be fine. I had a 78 XL250 and a 81 XR500 that didn't even have an oil filter. They both lasted around 40,000 miles, and only the engine on the 500 failed. Changing the oil often is the most important part.

When I was looking at the stainless filters, I decided to stay with the paper ones. One of those stainless filters buys a lot of paper ones. Another thing is cleaning them. I know any crap caught by the paper filter goes in the trash can and not back into the engine. Not so sure about the reuseable one.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 06, 2006 - 01:38 PM

"I have heard" that there is a "possibility" that there is a case where paper is better.

I fellow had his clutch shred, and the stainless filter plugged, and the motor lunched from lack of oil pressure.
Theory was a paper filter would have crumpled and let some oil through.

But, doesn't the oil filter have, or something in the way it mounts, supposed to provide a bypass if the filter plugs?

Dave

• rebelventurer

Posted October 06, 2006 - 02:27 PM

Dave is right again! The design of the oiling system on the XR650L provides no opportunity for a bypass, therefore making the paper filter superior in a worst case scenerio, just change your oil often, I do between a 1000 and 1500 miles and change the filter (paper) every other change and to date have not seen any need for the overpriced, overated reusable filters.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted October 06, 2006 - 02:35 PM

I still think the stainless steel is the way to go. I change my oil between 600-800 miles. It seems like 3000 miles per filter is a lot but its just my opinion not fact. I noticed the overpriced scotts filter filters down to 35 microns. Thats the same as the comp flow filter, yet the comp flow is about 25 dollars cheaper at $47.

• rebelventurer

Posted October 06, 2006 - 04:45 PM

In "my" opinion I have seen no evidence that the $8 paper filter and 2000-3000 (filter) and oil at 1000-1500 mile changes is not more than adequate, provided the oil is relatively clean I use belray 20/50 thumper oil at $20 a gallon, which roughly boils down to $48 every two oil changes the cost of the stainless filter alone, and how clean can you get a reusable filter?
:devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted October 06, 2006 - 07:16 PM

and how clean can you get a reusable filter?

I would imagine you could get it pretty clean with carb cleaner and compressed air.

• thouk

Posted October 06, 2006 - 07:48 PM

In my opinion I think that if the particles get embedded into the filter then you can't get them all out even with compressed. This will eventually degrade the performance of the filter. Just an opinion. Tony

• cleonard

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:46 PM

the $8 paper filter

I get mine mail order for about $2.50 for my XR600. Are the 650R ones that much more?

• rebelventurer

Posted October 07, 2006 - 07:49 AM

Thouk I am with you on your thinking, is there such a thing as 25-35 micron carb cleaner, and what about residual contaminants that are on the wrong side of the filter where do they go?
Cleonard, thats dealer price on the filter, I prefer to use a Honda filter, If you know of a place I can get them cheaper, by all means share with us!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 10, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Something to remember about oil and particulate size-

If a chunk of grit is smaller than the oil-film thickness of the part being lubed (crank, cam, whatever) it can't do any damage.

No crud is always good, but getting down to the magic size is critical, and getting below that size doesn't do a dang thing.

No, I don't have any idea how small is small enough for an XRL.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted October 10, 2006 - 08:56 AM

Thouk I am with you on your thinking, is there such a thing as 25-35 micron carb cleaner, and what about residual contaminants that are on the wrong side of the filter where do they go?
Cleonard, thats dealer price on the filter, I prefer to use a Honda filter, If you know of a place I can get them cheaper, by all means share with us!

If you look around you should be able to get a OEM one for somewhat less than $8. I think they are $6 from BikeBandit.

I've compared the aftermarket ones to the Honda ones and they sure look like they are the same.

• ghoti

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:19 AM

I like the toss aways, I've got enough things to clean.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.