Too much gas?

9 replies to this topic
  • TDC71

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:01 AM

Just a quick question for all you BRP riders. Been reading this forum since I got my 06 650l, did all the smog removal, Daves mods with a dyno jet kit and supertrapp IDS2 pipe. Wondering if i should leave it where I have it, The bike runs awesome, great power, good cold or hot starts and wheelies up to 25mph in 1st just by snapping open the throttle.The thing is I,m at 300ft and I,m running 165 main jet and 18 discs in the supertrapp, Gas mileage kinda sucks 38-40 Mpg.I'm not going broke filling it up but was wondering if I over did it, spark plug looks beautiful after checking at 1000 miles. would you guys leave it or de-tune it a bit.

Any feedback is appreciated,
Todd

• motomonte

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:10 AM

:thumbsdn: cheers on your new bike and welcome.Seems like that's the average mpg were getting .If you want more info check this thread that is currently active http://www.thumperta...hp?t=422419.For any other info stay around, this guys know a lot and are willing to help. :devil:

• cleonard

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:31 AM

Keep that smog stuff. California may start smogging bikes in the future and while it would suck to have to put the smog pump back on, it would suck more to have to buy a new one. There are also some reports that the rangers at the SVRA's (Gorman, Holister, etc.) have started giving warnings to bikes where the smog pump has been removed.

• TDC71

Posted October 06, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, I put all that crud in a box in the garage for just that reason. Thats gonna suck if i do have to re-install, I'm sure it wont go on as easy as it came off plus I have to buy one big hose cause i cut it for the breather to the air box. :thumbsdn: Seeing how I'm getting the same gas mileage as most everyone, would that HotCam make much more of a power, I had it Dynoed and got 35 horespower and 35 ft lbs of torque at the rear. :devil:

Todd

• rebelventurer

Posted October 06, 2006 - 12:17 PM

You can put the pump on for looks all you have to do is plug the hose going from under the exhaust ports, and on the other end going from the air box, and wallah it looks smogged, but none of that popping and spitting.
:devil:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted October 06, 2006 - 12:23 PM

I am at 200ft. above sea level and also run the 165 main jet, with no problems, with a rather loud FMF exhuast, and uncorked and drilled airbox. When I ride hard (most of the time) I get 30mpg, if I putt around like a castrated old man I get around 38mpg. All these guys that claim that they are getting 50mpg either have no _____ or they have a rope with a hook, and are hooking onto pasing cars and getting a free tow.
:devil:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 06, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Just a quick question for all you BRP riders. Been reading this forum since I got my 06 650l, did all the smog removal, Daves mods with a dyno jet kit and supertrapp IDS2 pipe. Wondering if i should leave it where I have it, The bike runs awesome, great power, good cold or hot starts and wheelies up to 25mph in 1st just by snapping open the throttle.The thing is I,m at 300ft and I,m running 165 main jet and 18 discs in the supertrapp, Gas mileage kinda sucks 38-40 Mpg.I'm not going broke filling it up but was wondering if I over did it, spark plug looks beautiful after checking at 1000 miles. would you guys leave it or de-tune it a bit.

Any feedback is appreciated,
Todd

You sound pretty happy with it and that's what matters. The small amount you would pay for gas for maybe another 5-10 mpg is not worth losing a smile over. Run it out on a calculator for the miles you expect to run over a year and it's peanuts.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 06, 2006 - 12:44 PM

Keep that smog stuff. California may start smogging bikes in the future and while it would suck to have to put the smog pump back on, it would suck more to have to buy a new one. There are also some reports that the rangers at the SVRA's (Gorman, Holister, etc.) have started giving warnings to bikes where the smog pump has been removed.

This goes back to the old weedwacker argument and something I'll never understand. So they hassle you off road for a smog pump being removed, but yet don't worry about the older green sticker and red sticker 2-strokes?
My little 31cc weedwacker puts more crap in the atmosphere in 10 minutes than my 650 does all day.

• TDC71

Posted October 06, 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks OuterLimits, When you break it down like that a few cents for lots of SH#@ eating grins is worth it. I'll hold off on putting that stuff back on even for looks until the cops pull me over. No use wrenching on the pig if no gains are gotten.
Todd

• justicedone

Posted October 06, 2006 - 03:36 PM

Not broke, dont fix it..ride it.
I am in so ca and run 55/158 drilled slide, Uni and white bros. Whos cares about gas unless your on reserve, then get more and ride more.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.