Rear Sprocket Bolts Loose

5 replies to this topic
  • WGP

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:13 AM

I put on a Ironman Rear Sprocket with THERE supplied bolts with thread locker but they seem to be loose after a couple of rides.
Thanks to the loctite they don't come off but are always loose?
Should I put back on the OEM bolts or redo the exisiting bolts with fresh loctite?

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:33 AM

When you are tightening the bolts do you tighten the nut or the bolt? Sounds a little crazy but the bolt heads are tapered so it's difficult to tighten them properly using the bolt. I always hold the bolt and tighten the nut. I have an Ironman sprocket on one of my bikes and I think the bolts are oem but not sure (came on the bike). I've never had a problem with them loosening.

• Morton

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Make sure between the sprocket and the hub there is no dirt, oil or anything. It needs to be very clean before you put it together. And torque the bolts in a criss cross fashion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto5

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Good advice about tightening the nut instead of the bolt. Also for lock tite to work properly both parts must be cleaned with solvent.

• msgbean

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Any time you use after market sprockets and bolts there is always a chance of a tiny difference between the sprocket taper and the bolt taper. Put locktite around the taper of the hole to fill in this tiny difference. If you are worried about hard removal don't be. It still easily comes apart easily. In fact I use JB weld on the taper. Never comes loose anymore and still comes apart with no problem.

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:12 AM

Mine do the same thing just have to check them before every ride.Somebody at a shop told me they could stretch a bit and thats how they get loose I am not sure I replaced mine loctited them so far no problems.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.