KX100... Now what?

24 replies to this topic
  • dirtyriders110

Posted October 06, 2006 - 04:44 AM

I picked up a 05' KX100 never been on the track let alone raced. $1900

Now what mods do you people have on your KX100?

I Ride all trails by the way

I'm thinking Steahly FWW (10 oz. ?)

Then I need a spark arrestor right? So what silencer has a spark arrestor built in.

Then I know some people changed the gearing. What did you change it to and what sprockets did you use?

How many people found it neccessary to add a larger tank... although I don't ride too far from the car... so maybe I don't need one? (The tank wouldn't be first on my list as all i can afford are sprockets a FWW and a silencer now)

Thanks.

• bikepilot1

Posted October 06, 2006 - 05:54 AM

I already answered your post in the chick forum:)

• the white stallion

Posted October 06, 2006 - 02:13 PM

just ride it. yes there are alot of mods you can do like bike pilot says,if theres a particular something you dont like. my son rides a kx100 trails and open dessert the bike does just fine. the only thing we did was raise the needle clip to lean out a little bit so spooge wasn't coming out of the tail pipe and learned how to stay on the pipe or in higher revs.
he gets atleast 35 miles to a tank of gas probaly more.
as far as suspension goes we never touched it, besides sag and clicker adjustments. in my opinion for his weight it might be a little soft.
hes probaly 5'5 100#s

• bikepilot1

Posted October 07, 2006 - 06:52 AM

The stock suspension should be nearly perfect for someone your son's size. My wife and I are both quite a bit heaver and taller. I'm 5'10 and 160lbs. I normally ride my own bike (CR250), but I really enjoy playing on the KX100. With the tripple clamps, taller bars and stiffer springs it works great for me and I feel I could be totally competitive in a harescramble race on the bike.

• scot_douglas

Posted October 08, 2006 - 05:22 AM

On my wife's KX100:
-skid plate
-pipe armor
-FMF fatty and Q silencer
-Steahly 12oz FFW
-IMS tank (gives about 70 miles of range)
-handguards & new handlebar
-Starcross Junior MS2
-Twin air filter

All on a tired 2002 that had never had any maint. done before we bought it. It is currently being torn down for a new top end (Munn racing "super enduro" kit).

Bike is rock-solid reliable and my wife ahs a blast on it - enjoy yours! :devil:

• dirtyriders110

Posted October 08, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Ok so...

12 oz. Steahly FWW

Some kind of skid plate

I was thinking the Pro Circuit Type 296... can I just buy a silencer for now?

Change gearing to 12/55 or 13/55?

some sort of handgaurds although I never had them on my TTR.

So now, what skid plate do you recommend?

And this is my first 2 stroke, should I always ride with an extra spark plug and the tools to get the old one off? Because I plan to ride it next sunday after I pick it up, and wouldn't have an extra plug or anything.

• scot_douglas

Posted October 08, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Ok so...

And this is my first 2 stroke, should I always ride with an extra spark plug and the tools to get the old one off? Because I plan to ride it next sunday after I pick it up, and wouldn't have an extra plug or anything.

Heck yeah, a spark arrested silencer is all you'll need right now - the 296 is supposed to work well; we went with the pipe to try to get more low end grunt.

We used stock gearing this year - 13/51 IIRC, and it is a little tall. IMHO, your choice of 13/55 sounds close to a 12/51 (if the 51 is indeed stock), and a 12/51 would allow you to use the same chain and only cost about $10. This is based on some mothballed info that 1 tooth up front = about 5 out back.

Skid plate - I really like "Utah Sport" skid plates. From what I've seen, most skid plates are just rebadges Utah Sports'. I have three different bikes with them and can vouch for excellent fit and protection (we ride out west once in a while and even see out own share of rocks in Michigan)

ALWAYS take a spare plug. Our KX has never fouled one, but it is cheap insurance against ruining your day! :devil:

• dirtyriders110

Posted October 08, 2006 - 12:52 PM

Ok, thanks for the info, I thought someone said they ran a 13/55 or a 12/55 .... but maybe i read it wrong. The FMF turbine II- Q is the quietest correct? Although I don't like FMF, if it's the quietest then it will be on my bike.

So anyone know the part # for the spark plug I need for the KX? I'll probably buy the stuff from the TT store.

Also where can I get a kickstand for my bike?

• jzalabowski

Posted October 08, 2006 - 04:10 PM

Ok so...

12 oz. Steahly FWW

Some kind of skid plate

with my '04 i go through spark plugs after every harescramble race. Might be my jetting but i suggest having an extra sparky and a wrench.

• scot_douglas

Posted October 09, 2006 - 04:28 AM

Also where can I get a kickstand for my bike?

You can't. :devil: I cannot find one for ours. There is a small tube on the LH side of the bike that I slip an axle stand into taht works at camp and in the garage.

• the white stallion

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:34 AM

You can't. :devil: I cannot find one for ours. There is a small tube on the LH side of the bike that I slip an axle stand into taht works at camp and in the garage.

i seen a kickstand before for this bike.maybe tt or motosport can't remember
though.i'll have to ask the kid he knows.

• dirtyriders110

Posted October 09, 2006 - 12:58 PM

huh, totall buzz kill on the kickstand.... looks like we'll have to do a home made job on it.

• dirtyriders110

Posted October 09, 2006 - 01:57 PM

anyone wanna measure the handle bar hieght for me?

• shanalisa

Posted October 09, 2006 - 06:47 PM

i love my kx. have had it for 3 years now. i would recommend a stabilizer. I dont know what other kind of riding you do besides the trails. I ride mostly desert and keep up with the guys. I found you need to stay on it or yes it will spooge all over. I have messed with the jetting but i think its just how the bike is. I found if you stay on the pipe does spooge as much. I am looking at getting a bigger tank. I have never fowled a plug either.
You dont need a kick stand get straps hang it. I do recommend riding with tools always and an extra tow rope never know. I got my first flat tire last season and had to ride it 10 miles back to camp and it really sucked. I dont have a skid plate but i should have one consider where i ride. Ill tell yeah nothing like doing 80 in the desert no one to stop you. ride safe and ride hard

• adam13

Posted October 12, 2006 - 01:42 AM

my kx80 has fouled two plugs this month but i have noticed as long as its running its okay but then when you turn the bike off a clean sometimes it is fouled but the first plug i put in wasnt brand new then since i got the new one i've had no trouble

• tntmo

Posted October 14, 2006 - 06:51 AM

huh, totall buzz kill on the kickstand.... looks like we'll have to do a home made job on it.

The 1995-1997 KX100 had a factory kickstand available. I picked up all the parts online for about $65 and it bolted up. The newer model bikes don't have the tab with two holes in it for the kickstand but it would be easy to make one and have it welded to the frame.

• dooweb2

Posted October 15, 2006 - 05:05 AM

for what its worth my son has a 05 kx 100 and pro circuit recommends going down one on the pilot. I did this and whoa it cleaned up the bike .. you could hear that it was rich before now it is so damn crisp other people notice how strong it sounds stock bike.. My son is heavier and raising the fork oil 10 cc really balances out the suspension and give is more dampning

• bikepilot1

Posted October 19, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Just FYI - Fork oil level won't change damping at all. What it does is reduce the air volumn in the fork leg, making the fork more progressive.

With proper jetting the little KX's don't foul. My wife has been riding hers (very slowly - her first bike) for two years and hasn't fouled a plug yet.

Proper spring rates make a huge difference with the suspension. If your rider is a bit heavy for the stock springs, he/she will get a much smoother ride with stiffer springs as they will keep the bike up in the stroke better.

I'm 160lbs and have .39kg fork springs and a 5.4kg shock spring with 5wt fork oil at the lowest level on my wife's KX100. That combo is about perfect for me in the woods. Much more plush than the stock setup, yet much more resistant to bottoming!

have fun

• Cigarette38

Posted November 03, 2006 - 08:18 PM

What is the race sag and static sag supose to be on a kx100? my son is about 125-130 lbs bike seems a little soft for him.

Posted November 04, 2006 - 12:10 AM

I picked up a 05' KX100 never been on the track let alone raced. $1900

Now what mods do you people have on your KX100?

I Ride all trails by the way

I'm thinking Steahly FWW (10 oz. ?)

Then I need a spark arrestor right? So what silencer has a spark arrestor built in.

Then I know some people changed the gearing. What did you change it to and what sprockets did you use?

How many people found it neccessary to add a larger tank... although I don't ride too far from the car... so maybe I don't need one? (The tank wouldn't be first on my list as all i can afford are sprockets a FWW and a silencer now)

Thanks.

One suggestion for you, Alex... Get a real bike. :mad: Kidding man. I don't even have room to talk. I don't even own a bike anymore. :mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Bad Ass Kx125 Build by Bh297

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

KX250 Top End by Steffen

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Help, what year model is this? KX125 by Rinox88

• 14 replies
Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

• Hot  31 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.