How do i put lights on a yz426?

7 replies to this topic
  • loudmuffler

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:26 AM

well its a yz426 so it has no charging system or lights.

What do i need to buy to make it keep the battory charged?

• Milhaus

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:34 AM

You will need to buy a stator that puts out enough power to support lights. Check with BajaDesigns.

• loudmuffler

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Is this what i need to run lights?
http://www.electrosp...400F_97_99.html
Its $179.99

With that do I need a battory or does the lights just work when the motor is on?

• 02YZ426

Posted October 05, 2006 - 11:04 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=422015

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted October 05, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Is this what i need to run lights?
http://www.electrosp...400F_97_99.html
Its $179.99

With that do I need a battory or does the lights just work when the motor is on?

Yes that will work for lights. It wont work well but it will work. 45 watts isn't much for lighting. I had that one and while it worked it wasn't enough wattage for night riding. Enough to get you street legal but not enough for night riding.

I would go with a WR426 stator and flywheel. A little more $ but a lot more wattage = better lighting.

All you will need with either system is the stator, headlight, and a voltage regulator.

Voltage regulator is easy. Its just a shiny silver box with 2 leads. You "T" one lead of the regulator into the power lead going to your headlight and run the other lead to ground. Thats it. They run about $20-25

Check ebay for WR stator/flywheels. They are on there from time to time.

• loudmuffler

Posted October 06, 2006 - 05:24 PM

What if i put trail tech lights on(3X brighter) and use the cheeper kit? I dont want a wr fly wheel i want to keep the lighter yz one.

Could i buy that $180 kit and hook it up to a battory so it keeps teh battory charged? That way it would probably make my lights stay bright.

• Zique

Posted October 10, 2006 - 08:43 AM

You could try it. But 45 watts isn't enough to run your lights AND charge a battery. Just like YZman said...It will work, but not very bright. Spending that much on the lights that are "3X brighter" doesn't make sense if you aren't going to provide enough power for them to draw from.

• texas426

Posted January 31, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Will there be any engine case mods to pull leads from the WR stator? I don't really know how it works but I do know you gotta get it out somehow?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.