650R warm start

8 replies to this topic
  • pgiinc

Posted October 05, 2006 - 08:45 AM

OK this bike is new to me I have been Thur it new uni filter,oil,plug, checked carb it been jetted 68s/175 main, needle I don't know. it had no spark arrestor I put a stock one on for now,installed Baja dual sport kit,Mt21 tiers ,brakes pad.pro taper bars, speedo
any way starting like just now

choke full on the bike .compression release on kick over once let compression release off
kick till i felt tdc
switch on kick hard once,twice started up
warm up take choke off
ride for 8 miles runs great very quiet
shut down by cutting switch off
OK i thinking I am ready to take to inspection station
let me see if i can start it warm
choke off
switch of ,compression release on ,kick slow once ,compression release off
kick till tdc
switch on ,
kick hard no start keep kicking no start
what works best to restart when the bike is warm and cut off by kill switch?
thanks for your help
I have an edelbrock carb on order I hope it will take a lot of this bs out of starting this bike

also I think I need to check the valve adjustment, to see were i ma with that, do you think that has any part in this being hard to start

• Billahjack

Posted October 05, 2006 - 11:01 AM

Two techniques-

A.) Warm start when bike is stubborn. Twist in Idle adjustment 1-2 turns. Compression release on, no choke, no throttle, switch on, kick through a couple times. Now try to start it - find TDC, then kick through with no throttle, switch on.

Valves - Check the valves if you hear them ticking or if you do not know when they were checked last. This can affect start-up.

My bike floods sometimes when I use the kill switch because I still need to tune my stock carb a little bit leaner. Try kicking through 3-6 times wide open throttle, switch on, compression release on, no choke. Mine will backfire out of the exhaust sometimes while unflooding. Then try normal starting (see above).

B.) Park on a hill, compression start in 3rd. Use clutch and compression lever, then release clutch after you get rolling, then release compression lever when going fast enough. Be prepared to blip throttle and pull in clutch when it fires. I use this when I tip it over and flood it out on trails or hill climbs.

• pgiinc

Posted October 05, 2006 - 12:41 PM

I just tried starting it gas is coming out the overflow tube I did not give it any throttle choke was on

• pgiinc

Posted October 05, 2006 - 12:43 PM

I did get it titled and tagged today in Va no problem she asked me if it was 2d or 4 Dr I said its a motorcycle she paid no attention to my inspection receipt
my tax dollars at work

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pburke

Posted October 05, 2006 - 06:33 PM

I have an edelbrock carb on order I hope it will take a lot of this bs out of starting this bike

warm bike with Edelbrock goes like this:

find TDC, move just past it, don't touch gas, kick once, you are on your way 9 times out of 10

cold, on the other hand, due to lack of choke, takes some tweaking of idle speed, etc. I am slowly figuring it out, but most of the time I need at least 2-3 tries to get it going.

• Billahjack

Posted October 06, 2006 - 05:43 AM

I just tried starting it gas is coming out the overflow tube I did not give it any throttle choke was on

Is your Edelbrock or Stock carb leaking out the overflow? The stock carb (well both) have a float valve in the bottom of the carb. If you take off the bottom float bowl cover (4 screws for the cover, 1 scew for a cable support), there is a little aluminum plunger with a rubber tip. Either the tip isn't sealing or the float is jammed/damaged and letting the gas flow free into the float bowl. Don't tear into it if you can't get a good bite on the screws. Inside, there is another small screw recessed in a sheet-metal plate that may need to be removed to get to the float mechanisms. It takes patience, good phillips screwdrivers, and a clean surface with rags on it to catch any parts (float pivot pin, screws, plunger, etc.) that fall out. Good luck.

• pgiinc

Posted October 06, 2006 - 05:54 AM

I have an edelbrock carb on ORDER. I hope it will take a lot of this bs out of starting this bike after I get in installed
the problems I am having are with the stock carb

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 06, 2006 - 07:05 AM

I did get it titled and tagged today in Va no problem she asked me if it was 2d or 4 Dr I said its a motorcycle she paid no attention to my inspection receipt
my tax dollars at work

Hey, man, don't complain, its TITLED now!!!! :thumbsdn: :devil: :excuseme: :thumbsdn:

Cool! Big accomplishment.

I got mine titled originally in VA, was sweet feeling indeed.

Don't worry about the starting woes, they'll get sorted out and you'll forget they ever happened.

Like several posted already, if you even THINK you're flooded with the stock carb, just pull the decomp lever, hold WFO throttle and kick it through 6-8 times. Then start as normal.

Ride safe

• Billahjack

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:36 AM

One more thing...

How fast are you kicking it? If I'm on hard ground like pavement, I like to cheat. I put the kickstand down and stand on the left peg when I kick it through for more power. Its not an issue if you are a tall person but shorter people find it a bit easier. Just make sure to occaisionally check both your kickstand bolt and the kickstarter bolt. I found my kickstarter bolt was loose when I bought the bike from the previous owner. My buddy also found his was loose too.

Maybe you may have a local expert that can check it out. It is definitely easier to troublshoot things in person from kick starting method to mechanical issues. Maybe your airscrew was adjusted improperly (usually 1-1.5 turns out from bottomed in). Maybe you need that valve adjustment. If you are familiar with a bike, you will notice they get harder to start when the valves drift out of adjustment over a period of time.

I use the stock carb and it works great. Most of the baja racers use the stock carb also. They bore it out 1.5mm if they go with the full HRC kit with high compression piston, otherwise they just rejet the stock one after uncorking. It took me a couple weeks to get the right jetting after the side panel cut-out and header/exhaust install. The first week was ordering stuff and figuring out how it worked and the second week was trial and error with pilot/main combos after installing the HRC needle and needle jet. I tried the Mikuni carb from XR's and it doesn't have the top-end of the stock carb.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.