Water pump for the R

1 reply to this topic
  • thouk

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:16 PM

Hey Y'all,
Has anyone replaced the water pump on the R? I am going through redoing a lot of the bike and I thought what the heck. What does it take to do it and is it worth it to help the cooling system. How do you tell if the pump is flowing like it should? I have checked the radiator when the cap is off and the water moves but I am still curious if it could be flowing better. Thanks, Tony

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted October 09, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I don't know of anyone that has replaced the water pump on a 650R. Unless the thing is leaking, why bother? If you can see the water flowing through the system, the pump is doing its job. The thermostat restricts the flow more than a slightly worn water pump impeller ever could.

If you really do feel the need to change the water pump, it unbolts from the right side of the engine as a complete assembly. The pump housing has o-rings for the oil seal to the cases, so you can change it in a race very quickly. I'm sure that was one of the things added to the list for the ultimate Honda Baja race bike when it was designed: a quick change water pump.

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.