00 XR650R- H4 Light Question?????

5 replies to this topic
  • BajaCyclesRider LK

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Okay; I know I can put an H3 on a instead of the stock bulb... but I have an H4 60/55 watt bulb; bought the glass lens (xr250) from Service Honda and the H4 plug adaptor from BajaDesigns.

The plug in the rear of the glass light is too small for the H4; I pulled it out and now the H4 fits into the light but there is no way to make it stay (it just sits in the loose.

Has anyone ever put an H4 in the same light???? Thanks for your help!

• hypersthenos

Posted October 04, 2006 - 11:12 PM

You may get it to fit but your stock stator will not power that bulb. Better look for an upgrade. Either buy a rewound stator or DIY. The links are here if you do the search. Needs to be done anyway if you plan to dual sport it.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 05, 2006 - 04:31 AM

On a side note what bulb does the L take? I am not all that happy with the light output on my bike and want to do some sort of upgrade.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaCyclesRider LK

Posted October 05, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Called Bajadesigns and I need an entirely different headlamp for the H4. The glass lamp I spoke of only fits a H3.
Thanks

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 06, 2006 - 07:33 AM

Lots of guys run with an H3 and are quite happy with it. Bulbs are available in just about any wattage you could want (or power). As far as I can tell there is no diff in lumens per watt, either bulb will take care of you.

But like the others have said, you gotta upgrade your stator. You will need more juice for either the H3 or the H4.

DIY is not big sweat, I did two of them this summer - mine and my son's. Costs about $25, for the wire and epoxy. Takes about 1.5 hour to remove, strip the old wire, rewind and epoxy it. Let it setup good over night and re-install it. Lots of good instructions in TT (snagglexr650 has the best, imho). PM snagglexr650 and he'll give you the details, ordering info, etc. Then you can join "The Few, the Proud, The Stator-rewinders". :devil:

Or you can pay $125-150 for a modded one.

Back to post: if you already have a glass lens that is set for the H3, I'd go with the H3.

• Mikie1

Posted October 06, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I use a 100-watt H3 I got from Baja Designs. I rewound my own stator and this light is HELLA bright. I actually like it better than I liked my buddy's 8" Baja Designs HID race light (I don't care for the HID light color).

Just be careful if you use this on the road- it's blinding to oncoming traffic. I don't know if you can get a high-low light in an H3 form factor bulb.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.