how long??

9 replies to this topic
  • GONE1445

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:12 PM

ok I am saving for my next bike and was 100% sure I was gonna get a 2006 yz250 because they seem to be cheaper to maintain and a lot easier also, but I still have the yz450f in the back of my head

and I was wondering how long does a top end on a 450 usually last would it be similar to my trusty 426 I have never been into the motor before and it runs like a champ

I usually only do one big trip up north and we ride about 20 miles a day for about 7 days maybe not very much riding and not very hard since my dad is still on his 76

and I also want to get my butt to the track

I just dont know :devil:

• aford541

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:27 PM

ok I am saving for my next bike and was 100% sure I was gonna get a 2006 yz250 because they seem to be cheaper to maintain and a lot easier also, but I still have the yz450f in the back of my head

and I was wondering how long does a top end on a 450 usually last would it be similar to my trusty 426 I have never been into the motor before and it runs like a champ

I usually only do one big trip up north and we ride about 20 miles a day for about 7 days maybe not very much riding and not very hard since my dad is still on his 76

and I also want to get my butt to the track

I just dont know :devil:

On TT some guys have over 200 hours on their bikes with no motor work, if you ride MX only and are riding the crap out of the bike you should change the piston every 50 hours, my 05 450 seemed to loose power after 50 hours, I ran it 96 hours that year before I sold it and never did the motor and the valves never needed adjusting they are very durable.
It costs around 200 for the parts to do a piston Im not sure on the labor.

• grayracer513

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:26 AM

I have an '03, and the answer to your question is, "I don't know yet."

• xcape

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:46 AM

450! been on a couple of '06 250's (honda/yami) in the last week not enough grunt would never trade away my 450.....cost should be the same to maintain although I would wear out a 250 faster since i would have to beat on it all the time.

• GONE1445

Posted October 05, 2006 - 04:17 PM

well I would only do a little track probably majority would be trail and just play riding in fields and stuff

I just imagine the whole thing blowing and it costing an arm and a leg to rebuild it my 426 is still running strong on stock everything I guess my main concern is the valves since they are $$$$$$ for Ti ones and the idea of the valve seats wearing out some one told me you cant get new seats cut since the yammerhammer has 5 valves and not just 4??

hmmm decisions decisions

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted October 05, 2006 - 05:12 PM

On TT some guys have over 200 hours on their bikes with no motor work, if you ride MX only and are riding the crap out of the bike you should change the piston every 50 hours, my 05 450 seemed to loose power after 50 hours, I ran it 96 hours that year before I sold it and never did the motor and the valves never needed adjusting they are very durable.
It costs around 200 for the parts to do a piston Im not sure on the labor.

50 hours? My 03 lasted much longer than that. I sold it without a topend rebuild and the guy who has it still rides it and its fine. Face it the Yamahas are tanks, the 450 will last forever in moto, and even longer in the woods. The 250f is a high revver and it puts more of a strain on the topend, but I will tell you that I have been on a 4-stroke for 2 years now and I just got on a 250 two stroke last weekend and I had the time of my life. The 2 strokes are much more fun to ride, cheaper to maintain, but are at a slight disadvantage if you are racing. All in all, Yamaha doesnt build anything but good bikes.

• GONE1445

Posted October 05, 2006 - 06:54 PM

well racing I dont really care I just plan to ride practice a lot dont expect to become the next bubba stewart oh wait I already beat him I stay on my bike hehehe j/k

dont want to turn into a bubba sucks thread

• moochie

Posted October 05, 2006 - 07:15 PM

I have an 06 YZ250 and a 06 YZ450F, though I love them both, I honestly find it more fun to ride the 2stroke. I'm kinda bummed that my favorite track has a concrete start pad, I've practiced starts off the concrete with both bikes and the 450 is soooo much easier to launch off the concrete. It's too easy to spin the 250 over and lose traction on the concrete. If the start is decent, tractionable dirt I dont really find it to be a huge disadvantage to be on the 250 two stroke.

If you're riding tighter trails up north with your dad, I'd get the YZ250. Lighter and more nimble through the trees and stalling/restarting wont be an issue.

If ease of maintenance is a concern, no doubt, get the YZ250.

If you race mx and your concerned with getting holeshots and the possibility of losing ground to a stronger, torqueier bike, get the 450.

• Nitroused383

Posted October 05, 2006 - 08:07 PM

I have an 06 YZ250 and a 06 YZ450F, though I love them both, I honestly find it more fun to ride the 2stroke. I'm kinda bummed that my favorite track has a concrete start pad, I've practiced starts off the concrete with both bikes and the 450 is soooo much easier to launch off the concrete. It's too easy to spin the 250 over and lose traction on the concrete. If the start is decent, tractionable dirt I dont really find it to be a huge disadvantage to be on the 250 two stroke.

If you're riding tighter trails up north with your dad, I'd get the YZ250. Lighter and more nimble through the trees and stalling/restarting wont be an issue.

If ease of maintenance is a concern, no doubt, get the YZ250.

If you race mx and your concerned with getting holeshots and the possibility of losing ground to a stronger, torqueier bike, get the 450.

You are a lucky bastard. Honestly I love my 04 450 the thing does everything I want it to, except for slide in uncontrollable fun. I rode a buddys 97 cr 250 over the weekend and forgot how much fun the 2 stroke power band is, even on the track. I had a blast even though the bike didn't handle the greatest or have the best suspension. The 450 is an awesome bike, but 450 4 strokes are always going to be improving. So while they are improving I think I want to go back to a 2 stroke because they are just more fun 2 me. 2 strokes may not see much new technology so get them while they last. By the time you get bored with that the new 450s will be so badass you wont care anymore.

• GONE1445

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:43 PM

you make a good point think I'll get a yz250 and keep the ol trusty 426 haha I will never sell that bike ever

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.