Heh, heh, heh...

17 replies to this topic
  • SC_Spode

Posted October 04, 2006 - 05:37 PM

... the Beast is in the lair. :devil:

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Would you like to elaborate, so that, let's say a moderator or something doesn't come along and delete this as having no particular meaning?

• SC_Spode

Posted October 04, 2006 - 06:30 PM

Au contraire, monsieur!

Flashback to the beginning of my "Tire recommendations?" thread and you'll see where I mention I'll be picking up an 06 YZ450F this week.

This is notice that the Beast took up residence last night... right next to the other blue 450's and the blue 250 smoker. :devil:

Now, if I can just find some time to take it out for a run.... :thumbsdn:

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2006 - 06:33 PM

I've been to SC. Unless you're in the middle of a major city, you can take it for a run now (can't you?)

Congrats, you are not going to believe how good it is. :devil:

• SC_Spode

Posted October 04, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I'm in Columbia.

Contrary to rumor there are more than two of us here with a full set of teef and a 2nd grade edumacation... and we just got indoor plumbing this week! :devil:

Actually, I have to drive at least an hour to any legal riding area from here. My only relief is having limited access to some private land about 35-40 mins away.

I've just been so busy this year that I've only gotten in 3-4 rides and the last one was early June. :thumbsdn:

Yeah, I really like my 03's, so if this one is even nicer I may have run out of excuses as to why I'm so slow. :thumbsdn:

• coffee

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:01 PM

Curious - for trail riding what would be your choice these days?

• SC_Spode

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Curious - for trail riding what would be your choice these days?

It depends.

Due to my seriously lacking riding skills, I tend to pick the tool that least magnifies those shortcomings, thereby maximizing my fun. :devil:

For the nastier, more technical trails, I usually grab my 250X. Easy to ride and very forgiving.

If it's not as wet, perhaps either my YZ250 or CR250. I like the light weight and handling of both of these.

If it's more open and faster, I roll out a 450. I love the response from the big engines. I've got a KTM 525 I bought earlier this year but haven't had a chance to get it out and play. I also have a KX500 that a buddy of mine has in NC. That's what you need when you think you know what fast is. :thumbsdn:

:thumbsdn:

• techmc

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:32 PM

Spode, congrats on new bike, may I suppose you are a single man? Not married, I would have that many bikes if my wife wouldn't freek! That is quite a sum of outlay on the bikes, I ...like you just have to find time to go out and ride! Don't have tooo much fun! you'll end up going crazy,hahaha. From the Old man.....

2006 YZ250V
2003 YZ450F (for sale)

• cubera

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Congrats on the new bike! Hope you can find time to ride the tires off of it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SC_Spode

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Spode, congrats on new bike, may I suppose you are a single man? Not married, I would have that many bikes if my wife wouldn't freek! That is quite a sum of outlay on the bikes, I ...like you just have to find time to go out and ride! Don't have tooo much fun! you'll end up going crazy,hahaha. From the Old man.....

2006 YZ250V
2003 YZ450F (for sale)

Sorry, quite married. :devil:

There are 12 here at the moment. :thumbsdn:

Obviously, I married well. :thumbsdn:

• coffee

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:18 PM

Due to my seriously lacking riding skills, I tend to pick the tool that least magnifies those shortcomings, thereby maximizing my fun. :devil:

Let me ask what I really want to know - if you had a distant male relative or friend approaching 50yo of avg size that was not rich and 'kinda' knew how to ride, what might be a few to look at for simple trail riding? Suspension and reliability far higher in priority than performance. Oh yeah - bum kick leg too so either estart 4st or 2st 2002 or older.

Just curious.

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Let me ask what I really want to know - if you had a distant male relative or friend approaching 50yo of avg size that was not rich and 'kinda' knew how to ride, what might be a few to look at for simple trail riding? Suspension and reliability far higher in priority than performance. Oh yeah - bum kick leg too so either estart 4st or 2st 2002 or older.

Just curious.

Sounds like you want either a CR 250 or a YZ 250...both are a blast and pretty easy to start compared to the thumpers if they're jetted right

• SC_Spode

Posted October 06, 2006 - 09:11 AM

Just curious.

I'm basing this on southeastern trail riding, meaning paths with trees, not open desert trails. For those I'd always look for more power.

Not sure if you meant only the 2T was 2002 and older or all recommendations be '02 and older, but I'll try to cover it both ways.

For 2002 or older, the choices are going to be limited and the suspension will probably be lacking compared to the newer bikes.

For simple trail riding I'd look at the following -

Either an XR250 or 400. While lacking the suspension of the CRF, the reliability and ease of maintenance is fantastic. No button, though.

The KDX200 or 220. Outstanding bikes for trails. I recommended one of these to a friend of mine based on what he said he was wanting and the type of riding he wanted to do. He got the 220 and he just raves about the bike. They are completely competent in stock form and can be modified as the skill level increases. They're about as reliable as a claw hammer and last forever.
No button here either, but they are extremely easy to start.

If you're interested in a 250 MXer, consider the following.
They are going to be harder edged (more explosive power, firmer suspension that will need to be resprung and revalved for trails, probably a flywheel weight, bigger tank, etc.). They definitely have more potential for speed than the typical trail bike but will involve a lot more in the way of time and money to get them comfortable, and I don't believe they'll ever be as good for casual trail riding as a purpose built bike like a KDX or XR.
If you decide that's what you want,though, I'd recommend the '02 YZ250. Fantastic engine, good handling and great reliability. The forks suck but would need to be redone, anyway.
The 02 CR250 can be a good woods bike but doesn't have the broad, flexible power of the YZ.

Newer models, 4T only

For more performance and better suspension, I'd rate the following bikes much higher -

The CRF250X has been a great bike. Great suspension and handling, e-button, a pain to work on as far as the carb and some have had valve reliability issues. I've only had oil consumption issues with it (not a lot) but will be addressing that with some new rings, a honing and dry assembly.
If you go in with the knowledge and attitude that the X is not an XR, I think it would be a great choice.
The only thing I did to mine was put bark busters on it and I eventually put a softer valving stack in the forks since I was doing a fair amount of rock riding with it. But this was a want, not a need. Even the tires and grips were left stock.
Comfortable seat, great layout, easy to service air filter, great detailing.
Great right out of the crate.

The WR250F is also a great bike. They haven't had the valve issues some of the Hondas have, it has the button and they've upgraded the suspension for 06-07. The forks on the earlier ones aren't in the same league as the Showa TC's, IMO.

Why no DRZ? Too tall and heavy compared to the other two.

Why no KTM or Euro bike?
KTM advertises as "Ready to Race". I've got one and feel they're designed to be competition machines first. Some will tell you that the 200, 250 or 300 EXC would be a great choice, and they may be right, but for what you described I'd steer you to the other choices first. The KTM and Euro bikes tend to be more the choice of enthusiasts or racers.

If I had to pick only one bike for trail riding per engine type, this is what I'd get:

2T - KDX200/220

4T - CRF250X or WR250F, they're that close for me.

If a bigger bike suits you, then look at the 450X or WR450.

What's nice about the CRF and WR is that they can be putted around on like a foo-foo bike but are capable of serious speed due to their superior stock suspension. Keep in mind that they will be more expensive to maintain and harder to service than a KDX.
You may find the KDX suspension totally acceptable.
If you can steal a ride on these bikes for comparison purposes, I'd highly recommend it since only you can decide how they work for you.

Let me know if I can elaborate further or answer any questions to steer you in the right direction.

:devil:

• coffee

Posted October 16, 2006 - 04:18 PM

If you can steal a ride on these bikes for comparison purposes, I'd highly recommend it since only you can decide how they work for you.
:devil:

THANK YOU! Your input is most appreciated! Really hard to find a TTr that is not brand loyal.

Started riding 2 years ago and feel like a fish out of water. I am in CA so older bikes are green stickered and newer bikes are green stickered of they are 4-stroke and pass emissions.

Been through a bunch of bikes in 2 years, and a 4 stroke kick start only is not for me.... Currently in the garage are crf230, ttr125le, and a TE250. The TE250 had the factory license plate and that was important to me. I like them all a lot, wish the best parts of each were molded into 1 bike.

Sounds like I should find an old kdx200 and test ride it, in a constant state of learning... :thumbsdn:

• SurvivorMan

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:34 PM

Coffee, if you've got a little more money to spend, try the KTM 250 XC-W. these bikes are easy to ride and improve your riding ability quite fast. They do everything well. Low maintenance and great resale. just put hand guards on em and your off.

• ebeck

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Interisting to hear you say that SC_Spode.

I am going to attempt a KX250 with a KDX220 motor. I really like the MX handeling and lightness but I hate the MX motors at my age. CR250 chasis with an XR400 motor was my other choice but forget kicking that thing over. It can be made estart I know but is gets spendy.

I recently plotted a KDX200 motor(piped and jetted) over a 250X dyno plot and the KDX made more power 5-7K rpm than the 250X did. I am sure the KDX220 makes even more low/mid. People can not say enough about those motors.

The KTM bikes were real high on my list but after a bit of research it beacme apparent that they were competition bikes. No linkage and touchy set up requirments and they like to be ridden hard. Not for me. I need a bit(alot) more forgiving motor and suspension.

MX ridability with trail bike power delivery. I plan on revalving the forks and it remains to be seen what to do about the rear shock. the combo should be great for slippery steep sandy southwest hills that are slow an go.

Is there a Yamaha equivelant of FrankenBike that I should look at? I did see a YZ125 and WR200 motor over in the UK but I know little about that motor.

Posted Image

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted December 13, 2006 - 02:39 PM

nice 2 smoker.

• motobeck

Posted December 15, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hey Spode, just wondering where you ride at? I'm in the Charleston area and have to drive about 2 hours to get to the good stuff.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.