650R complete engine rebuild

4 replies to this topic
  • Boudroux

Posted October 04, 2006 - 10:54 AM

A buddies motor just let go. Tons of brass in the oil and it won't turn. By chance does anyone have a complete rebuild parts list? We know the obvious like crank, bearings and stuff but I'm sure there are other little things we don't know about.

If someone has that complete list of parts and can post that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Brian

• cleonard

Posted October 04, 2006 - 01:09 PM

I think you will need to tear it apart before you know what needs fixing. Just measure and examine everything and you will know what needs replacing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • karmataburn

Posted October 04, 2006 - 01:22 PM

I think you will need to tear it apart before you know what needs fixing. Just measure and examine everything and you will know what needs replacing.

It is my bike that needs the work and my opinoin is if we are going through all the trouble of splitting the case and fixxing it. I want a COMPLETE rebuild I do not want to peice it back together. We are looking for a list of what would be the most common parts that we will need.

• cleonard

Posted October 04, 2006 - 01:56 PM

It is my bike that needs the work and my opinoin is if we are going through all the trouble of splitting the case and fixxing it. I want a COMPLETE rebuild I do not want to peice it back together. We are looking for a list of what would be the most common parts that we will need.

I don't think it will be that easy. Replacing everything is not cost efficient. A "COMPLETE" rebuild means fixing everything , not replacing everything but the cases. Since you see brass, that means the crank is shot. The big variable is how much other collateral damage was done by those metal bits floating around.

I'll take a shot at it though. This is sort of the no matter what list.

1. New crank
2. New piston
3. New cam chain
4. Bearings (crank, maybe others?)
5. Send head off for refurbishment. I have used XR's Only and have been pleased with their work. Just tell them to go thru it and replace anything than shows any wear. I wouldn't use my local bike shop for this. I did once before and they couldn't do the work correctly. You really need a shop that specializes in this kind of work.

That's kind of the standard stuff. Now comes the other and possibly expensive parts. No way to tell until you take it apart.

1. The cylinder. If it's damaged it will need to be replaced or replated. (expensive)
2. The transmission. Metal bits may have gotten between the gear teeth and damaged them. The gears are very expensive.
3. Clutch basket. Look for notching from the clutch plates.
4. Oil pump. Loose metal bits may have damaged it. Take it apart, it's easy to tell.

This would also be a good time to do any mods like a high compression piston and a cam.

Depending on what else is damaged you may be better off parting it on ebay and getting another bike.

The easy way would be to take it to a shop and say "fix it." I like XR's only, but some on this list have had problems with them.

• Boudroux

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:20 PM

The transmission. Metal bits may have gotten between the gear teeth and damaged them. The gears are very expensive.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I would have thought the screen in the tranny side would have picked this stuff up. Maybe not.

Hopefully the extent of the damage is the crank and crank bearings.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.