Baseline jetting for a modded 650r

7 replies to this topic
  • AngryShawn

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:45 AM

I'm just about done with my 650r rebuild and know a lot of you have the same/similar configurations:
11:1 piston
hotcam stage 1
ss valves
all new OEM valvetrain (aside from valves)
competition valve job
uni filter
opened up the side cover
removed the smog crap
white bros e series silencer (stock header and mid pipe)
I'd love to get the Edelbrock carb but my budget is already stretched so in the meantime, my question to you all is about baseline jetting for the stock carb. I'll be mainly riding in the 0-3000 ft level with the majority of the time spent under 1000 ft.
From researching it looks like I should start out with a 70 pilot, 180 main, stock needle with clip in 4th position. Does this sound about right? I do have the 68s pilot, competion needle and some other jets on order as well.

• surfnride

Posted October 04, 2006 - 10:47 AM

you seem to have answered your own question. Correctly. Now go pop some wheelies. :devil:

• AngryShawn

Posted October 05, 2006 - 09:30 AM

Excellent, thanks! Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 05, 2006 - 04:44 PM

The "competition" needle will make a noticeable performance increase in your application. How big is the opening in your side panel?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted October 05, 2006 - 05:01 PM

70 pilot, 180 main, stock needle with clip in 4th position....that is where I would start. :devil:

• AngryShawn

Posted October 10, 2006 - 09:31 AM

Ram: I have ten 1 inch holes drilled in the side panel using uni pop-in vents.
Took the bike for its first ride yesterday, what a blast! Wheelies on command :devil:
The only issue I had with the jetting setup is that it would only run good at half choke, otherwise it would bog and die at anything over 1/4 throttle. Had a small amount of popping on decel as well with some residue on the exhaust baffles. I'm going to move the clip to the 3rd position and see where that gets me...

• Ramcc4x4

Posted October 10, 2006 - 01:09 PM

If it runs good with the choke on it needs more fuel. Stay with the 70s pilot and richen up the fuel screw. If you need to richen it a bit more try covering one side panel hole at a time.

• AngryShawn

Posted October 10, 2006 - 01:46 PM

Hmmm, I am currently using a 70 pilot, sounds like I need the 70s instead. Any adjustment I made to the fuel screwn yesterday didn't help... I thought soot on the exhaust was an indication that the bike was running too rich, or is that probably just due to the fact I was running with it at 1/2 choke?

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.