Lowering Link

7 replies to this topic
  • jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:51 AM

Before I order this, Has any one on this board ordered & installed the Lowering link from Mountain Motorsports? Does it do what it says? Is it worth all that money?
Jim

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:18 AM

I see that this is on the "ThumperTalk Tested". It shows 10 responses. All that I can access is the beginning of the post by Valerie Wilson. Can I view these or am I restricted for some reason?
Jim

• Poway1464

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:21 AM

I installed it a couple of weeks ago. It really softens suspension so you will need to adjust it. Also the kickstand is now a bit too long. The bike seems to handle just fine - but I am old and slow now. It was very easy to install. So far so good and has been a good addition. I bought it to drop the bike a bit so I can easily place a toe on the ground at standstill. It does what I wanted.

• Chuck_Nelson

Posted October 04, 2006 - 03:53 PM

It's much cheaper to go to a suspension guy and have him add some shims. I had Tom Smith at Coppersmith Racing do mine. Adding 4 shims lowered the rear end by 1.25" and he also revalvled it for less than half the cost of the link.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:01 PM

It's much cheaper to go to a suspension guy and have him add some shims. I had Tom Smith at Coppersmith Racing do mine. Adding 4 shims lowered the rear end by 1.25" and he also revalvled it for less than half the cost of the link.

I agree. It took me a while to find a small shop guy to do it for a reasonable price, but I got all the suspension work done, both ends, including disassembly of the bike, for $300. I was thinking about the link, but didn't want to risk bottoming out on fast fire roads or the occasional big jump that I shouldn't be doing at my age.

• babyspankynhb

Posted October 06, 2006 - 06:51 AM

My dad and I just put them on our bikes last night. It took all of 10 minutes per bike to do the install. It lowered the bike 1 1/4". IMHO, it wasn't enough for the price. I still can't sit flat-footed with both feet. I've also got a smaller tire on it too, so my bike is about 3" shorter than stock in the back. I also slid the front forks up the little amount they would go so its almost 1/2" shorter in the front. I rode it for the first time this morning and it seemed like the front end wanted to come up ALOT easier, but besides that it seemed about the same. I'm going out to Stoddard Wells this weekend, I'll let you know how it is in the dirt.

• HarryCallahan

Posted October 15, 2006 - 03:01 PM

I just acquired an '04 WR450 that has a lowering link I don't need. I want to trade it to someone with a factory link so I can get it set up for my weight and height. Email me if you have one to trade (rangebrass at comcast dot net)

• Poway1464

Posted October 16, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Precision Concepts wanted $500+ to lower the bike, that was more than I wanted to spend. I imagine it is not for everyone - especially an aggressive rider.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.