Decompression Cam Swap

4 replies to this topic

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:45 AM

I was thinking about changing the cam in my 98' YZ400F so that I could get rid of the decompression lever setup. Which cam do I need to purchase? Is the procedure much more than changing cam, plugging decompression hole, and setting the valves? Any different timing issues? Now the head on this motor is off of a 2000 WR. Does that change anything? I'm going to assume not because it works good on a 98' motor. Any help would :devil: be wonderful. Thanks. :excuseme: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Buy the Hot Cams AD cam for a 426 and install it as if it were a stock cam, or,

Buy the OEM Yamaha YZ 450 cam (WR450 if you want a milder engine), and follow these instructions:

Apart from an undetermined number and size of valve shims, the cam is the only part required either way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Apart from an undetermined number and size of valve shims, the cam is the only part required either way.

Hey now...let's not forget about the plug for the decompressor shaft hole! The rubber oem plugs suck and it is not uncommon that they blowout. You can use a freeze plug of proper size (Gray knows...cuz he knows everything there is to know :thumbsdn: ) but the TT plug is sano... http://shop.thumpert...p/qmr-03dpb.htm :devil:

• grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2006 - 02:31 PM

True, you do need something suitable...if you remove the manual decomp shaft. You can also use an 18mm freeze plug. Sort of a challenge to install, but they work.

Or, you can just leave the shaft there as long as the return spring stays with it. But that's not very clean looking, and it's in the way if ever the right exhaust valve needs adjustment. :devil:

• John Wayne

Posted October 08, 2006 - 04:08 PM

[COLOR=Blue]This was the best mod I have done, had it done last week. Today was the 2nd day of starting it and started 1st kick with choke on. I put the WR cam in insted of the YZ for more tractable power through the band. i ride woods so this suits me. The durattion is different between the 2. No more 5 min routine for starting and it kicks over easier than my CR250[/COLOR]

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.