Hate my Dakar Kit

12 replies to this topic
  • dick757

Posted October 03, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Anyone else had problems with theres
Ever since I got the thing it has been nothing but problem
Went through 3 rear brake sensors, and I only get 3 days out of each
The left rear blinker was not even wired properly and had to strip the wires to re join it
The circuit board is gone, leaving me with no headlight
Battery keeps going dead even after a charge
Key is sticking in the ignition
horn works very poorly
and wires keep coming loose

Yes I had this hooked up properly by a well established and very trustworthy tech

They are good about warranty, but it is a hassel fixxing stuff every week

I ride it 95% on the road and in the daylight

Just wondering what you all think

• wcorbett

Posted October 03, 2006 - 06:25 PM

never heard of dakar kit. please post link or picture.

• calxi

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:16 AM

Had the Dakar kit on a used bike I bought. After several months of fighting it I went wiht a BD kit. All kits however seem to have their weaknesses, I was just frustrated with the tech department.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:23 AM

I have built a Baja kit out of their old harnesses and peiced it together as they stopped making a total kit for my bike. Mine works great, never a problem whasoever. I will however go to an Acerbis Cyclops instead of the Diamond I now have for more light when I up-grade the stator. When you say rear brake sensors, what areyou talking about? I have a switch for the brakes but no sensors, except for the little magnetic one for the Trailtech speedo.

• dick757

Posted October 04, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I am of course brain farting on the name
But it is the piece you screw into your rear ??? brain fart again, ummm
Anyway, it screws in by the rear lever and it is a presure sensor that lets the rear brake light go on
Cripes I hate the brain fart

And the link is
www.electrosport.com

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 04, 2006 - 02:21 PM

I am of course brain farting on the name
But it is the piece you screw into your rear ??? brain fart again, ummm
Anyway, it screws in by the rear lever and it is a presure sensor that lets the rear brake light go on
Cripes I hate the brain fart

And the link is
www.electrosport.com

ya call it a brake light switch....they make them as a replacement for the stock brake banjo bolt, everybody has them but BD and Al McGlaghlins 4 strokes only has them for 20 bucks...I got one, it works great but since I never use the back brake I put it in the front master...I ride mine Supermto on the street,,,thats why no rear brake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted October 04, 2006 - 03:59 PM

Ok I'll bite... are you saying you have no rear brake or you don't use your rear brake?

• BWB63

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:50 PM

This is not the first thread about this...........I think the quality must have gone bad. There has been several people complaning of this. I don't think it's a fluke.

• dick757

Posted October 04, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Sorry if I started another thread
I am still fairly new and have only had my BRP for a few months
I am not happy and if they don't fix my problem I will end up making my own kit
I just got this one for ease and time saving as I wanted it on the road that day
Live and Learn
The kit looks OK, but performs poorly

• BWB63

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:09 PM

The more that tell about this junk maybe less will have to go through what you have! The more threads about junk the better!

• JKL

Posted October 04, 2006 - 08:01 PM

I have had my Electrex Dakar kit on my XRR for 1.5 years and it works.
It only works because I fix it regularly. I am not that happy with the quality and it was a pain to install, because the wires were all mixed up. They apologized and sorted me out. I would not buy one again, but I don't know if the BD is any better. :devil:

• dick757

Posted October 05, 2006 - 05:14 PM

I am still not happy
been waiting to 2 weeks plus now for the new board
They told me they sent it out

• 1984atc250r

Posted August 24, 2011 - 03:53 AM

Have the kit and coil.Headlight is dim,I paid to have headlight rebuilt but didnt help.I think itsb the coil.900 later still cant ride at night

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.