650L Cracked Side Case

24 replies to this topic
  • roadcam

Posted October 11, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I had posted pics earlier of my sheetmetal plate, I just cut it to shape, and glued it onto the side cover with silicone glue ... its still there, and has some nice deep scratches where I dumped it occasionally (I crash a LOT) ... :devil:

• Jerald

Posted October 12, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I did the same to my 82 XL500...threw some JB weld on it and it ran for years without a problem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Derek00

Posted October 13, 2006 - 05:34 PM

I did this too, fortunately I was on top of the mountain. Put it in N and coasted down. Got the aftermarket folding Moose shifter and filed down the sharp edges on the back to decrease the chance of going all the way through the case. Luckily, I haven't tested the effectiveness of this set up and hope I never do.

• xr650l bum

Posted October 16, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Thank you Roadcam. I was looking at your fix, then spilled this weekend. Did not crack case, but put a scare into me! I liked your fix, but took it a step further! Used 1/8 aluminum making a little larger piece than you had made so it covered the entire front bottom half of case, then wrapped a strip of same 1/8 aluminum underneath the bottom of case. Used J B weld to attach as it had a higher temp rating than others. Took maybe 1 hour, looks great. I think it will take a lot to crack case now.

Love when I can learn from others. Thanks again!!!

• Poe

Posted October 17, 2006 - 06:16 PM

I REALLY need to do that mod. I dumped my 650-L HARD on the left side this past weekend on a hard-packed clay road (think concrete). The case now has a big gouge in it, but no apparent cracks and nothing is leaking. I got off easy... this time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.