650L Cracked Side Case

24 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted October 03, 2006 - 02:19 PM

How many 650L owners have had their shifter crack the side case?

I will be #1

• rebelventurer

Posted October 03, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Please be more specific, the actual engine case, or the left hand side cover?
if you are talking about the cover I believe it is a fairly common occurance if you drop it hard enough the shifter will bend into the cover and since it is cast aluminum and thin, POW, BAM, just like the old batman show. I saw a almost new bike on ebay about a month ago looked like it had suffered the same ordeal, guy did not notice, and rode it till it seized, you would think the oil on the left foot would give you a clue!

• Rockcrawlintoy

Posted October 03, 2006 - 05:13 PM

yeah it happened to me about 3 months ago. I just JB welded it and off i went

• motomonte

Posted October 03, 2006 - 05:19 PM

Welcome to the club :p I've been there twice :lame: Once it was in my garage.Try cutting a piece of sheetmetal about 1/16 - 1/8 and epoxy it to the case.I think one of the guys here popsted a pic of this mod somewhere in this forums.I did mine and I'm still about to post a pic sometime. :thumbsup:

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 03, 2006 - 05:38 PM

How much is a side cover? That is what we are talking about right?

I am thinking it might be a good idea to have one in my "spares" collection!

• TARFELE

Posted October 04, 2006 - 03:31 AM

How much is a side cover? That is what we are talking about right?

I am thinking it might be a good idea to have one in my "spares" collection!

My first cracked case was 3 years ago and I did the JB weld/Moose putty thing because I was in Mexico. It held even after I sold the bike. I think a new cover was around $150 and then you had to have a special tool for the clutch spring. I was asking because I was thinking about going to a fab shop and having something made up if people wanted to buy a cover. I have checked everywhere and NO ONE make anything. I find that odd because everyone I know with a 650L has done it.

• TARFELE

Posted October 04, 2006 - 03:33 AM

Please be more specific, the actual engine case, or the left hand side cover?
!

Side case cover, what the stator sits behind

• rebelventurer

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:28 PM

Yes sir the one weak spot, on the old L pig. I believe its a planned failure, Honda designed it to fail, parts sales. I have seen several on ebay for around $50, a couple of them were already broke and repaired. I have been contemplating a similar "skid" plate if you will that would use the cover mounting bolts to attach to, only issue has been clearance for the shifter. Then I also thought about a true skid plate that would encompass the front, bottom and both covers to just in front of the footpegs. Has been labor intensive, I dont believe you could ever really make money producing them, I am just trying to mod my own bike, so it doesnt really matter if I have a 100 hours figuring it out.

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:38 PM

Why special tool is needed for the clutch pin removal? This sounds like a good "spares" kit to have!

• TARFELE

Posted October 04, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I was thinking of buying the cover for the DRZ that is sold in the ThumperTalk store then cutting it in half. A little trimming would be easy then putting it on with an epoxy.

The "special tool" removes the clutch pin with the spring somehow. I did not do it a buddy did with the too he borrowed from the dealer.

I am going to do something and when it is done I will post a pic. I am more interested in preventing some TT member burning up a motor and making a dime.

If anyone had photos I would like to see what they did

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted October 04, 2006 - 07:56 PM

While this hasn't been tested yet I thought I'd let you know what I have done to hope fully prevent the crack from happening. I took some surgical rubber hose and slit it down the midlle and then safty wired it on to the shift lever so that it might dampen the blow to the stator cover in the advent of this happening. Like I said it hasn't been tested,and it is minimal protection at best.

• NMXRThumper

Posted October 04, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I was just pondering this question last week. I gouged the cover but didn't hole it and was trying to think of a quick (precautionary) fix. I also thought about the DRZ piece but hadn't gotten around to thinking it though fully. I'd be interested in finding out what people come up with. It's not flat like the drz but could be done I'm sure. I have some scrap aluminum but couldn't think of how to form it to the bike without hammering (not a good idea). I'd appreciate any input and/or answers. If someone develops a decent solution I'm in! Bucky

• dbracht

Posted October 05, 2006 - 02:37 AM

I put a hole in mine in Moab this last spring. Slid backwards and crashed on a portion of the trail on Poison Spider Mesa. Had to run to town and get some JB epoxy. Now I carry it with me.

• NMXRThumper

Posted October 05, 2006 - 06:47 AM

We (OK I) agree that the problem can be fixed with JB weld. We're just trying to prevent the damage in the first place. I know, don't drop your bike and you'll have no problems.... Bucky

• underwatersimon

Posted October 06, 2006 - 07:41 AM

I have never dropped my bike.....She does however seem to get tired and take an impromptu horizontal nap allong the trail without warning.

1-JB weld
2-Tire patch kit

Don't leave home without them!!!

• DigDug

Posted October 06, 2006 - 02:17 PM

Been there --- Done that... dropped the bike on the left side going up a steep rocky climb. It's usually pretty well protected, but if there happens to be a rock in "just the right place", it'll pop it... My MX boots did get a nice oiling riding back to camp.

Parts are available all over. New case is about $125, and you also need the case gasket, the starter cover gasket (about $10 and $5 respectively), and a couple quarts of oil. I thought about JB weld, but figured it was worth the peace of mind not to have to worry about another leak when I'm 30 miles from the truck or home...

It takes a couple hours to do it.. Hardest part for me was to get the old gasket off the engine case (kind of hard to get a good position with the scraper to get at some of the areas. I replaced it, and had an oil leak that I lived with until the next scheduled oil change. I bought a couple new gaskets and replaced them - with a good coating of gasket goop - no leaks now!!! I JB welded the old case and it sits in my truck (or toyhauler) as a spare so my weekend isn't over if I shatter this one.

I shopped around online and Bike Bandit had all the parts:
OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~2005~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~1132614~model_dept_name~XR650L.asp' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>CLICK HERE

But I went into the dealer and the prices were the same, and I saved shipping costs... :devil:

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to "up-armor" that spot, but for now, I just try to fall right!!!

:thumbsdn:

• motomonte

Posted October 07, 2006 - 04:52 PM

Anybody with "picture posting capabilities" :I need an e-mail adress where i can send some pictures of the case guard i fabricated,then u can post it for everyone to share.I've tried a couple times but still havent figured it out very well tough i can manage with e-mail adresses.Just trying give back something for all the help...

• TARFELE

Posted October 08, 2006 - 06:58 AM

Anybody with "picture posting capabilities" :I need an e-mail adress where i can send some pictures of the case guard i fabricated,then u can post it for everyone to share.I've tried a couple times but still havent figured it out very well tough i can manage with e-mail adresses.Just trying give back something for all the help...

Create a Photobucket account(its free) and then link it in a post. If you don't want to do that send it to me and I will do it.

tarfele@yahoo.com

• motomonte

Posted October 09, 2006 - 02:33 PM

THANKS,I'll be sending them during this week :devil:

• TARFELE

Posted October 10, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Here are photo's Motomonte sent. It looks like this would do the trick. It will help me and I hope it will save someone else from a major headache.

Thanks Monte

http://i24.photobuck.../CaseGuard1.jpg

http://i24.photobuck.../CaseGuard2.jpg

This is how he said he made it

Hello,hope these photos can be of help.As for the guard, like i said before, is made of 1/16" stainless steel tough you can use any material you think fit.In the photo you can see that theres some epoxy that was used for gluing it to the case.I could have used screws or rivets but went on the safer side.The other photo is from the first one I made but got lost untill a few weeks ago that I found it when looking for some other lost item(funny isn't it?)the marks that can be seen is where it should be cut to correct the height,also on second tought it could also be cutted in half so it would be easier to fit since it has to be bent a little in order to lay flat.Just cut a circle about 5 1/2" with an inner hole of 2 1/2" the cut it in 3 or 4 sections,if its cut in 2 it will require further fitting/cutting.
Hope been of any help,got more photos of some other mods,wil try to post.Any questions feel free to e.m. me.Good luck.
P.S. feel free to post it if you want..

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.