Help XR650l starts than dies when put in gear

Help ! my bike was running fine the other day and the next day it wont go anywhere.

It starts no problem but once I put in into first gear it just dies. ?

I replaced the CDI not to long ago (300-500 miles) so I think I can rule that one out.

Any ideas ?

I need to :lame: to work tomorrow.

Man you are good. And fast.

I did play with the side stand bypass. Maybe i did not put it back correctly.

The previous owner had just disconnected it and put a wire between 2 of the three leads.

Is it better to cut the wire and just connect them together? If so what do I do with the third wire.

I am not good with electrical.

Man you are good. And fast.

Actual solution isn't known yet. But I do accept PayPal, lol... :lame:

I did play with the side stand bypass. Maybe i did not put it back correctly.

The previous owner had just disconnected it and put a wire between 2 of the three leads.

Is it better to cut the wire and just connect them together? If so what do I do with the third wire.

I am not good with electrical.

I don't know the wiring pinouts offhand...anyone with a manual or expericence hopefully will chime in. I just assumed (uh-oh) that it would be a N.O. (normally open) or N.C. (normally closed) circuit that uses just 2 wires (or one wire shunted to ground when the sidestand is in position x).

Since there's little likelihood of frying anything, might try the process of elimination with the wire combinations. The idiot light should be a good indicator of the switch's position (ie: sidestand down=light on=die when put in gear, etc.)

Besides, you have at least some info...the combination you have right now is not right. ?

Phuzz, You called it. :devil: I checked last night and the wire the prvious owner had used to for the bypass must have fallen out when we were trying to push start it after the battery went dead.

Thank you Dave,

This lets me wire it correctly this time.

P.s love your mods and my Tera Flex that you recommend. ?

The sidestand switch (and all the safeties) are a conglomeration of wired-or diode logic.

To bypass all the safeties, take both (yes both) wires that go to the clutch switch and ground them both (yes both).

Diagram-

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/images/safeties.gif

Dave

As in joining the two together? And does this disable all of the safties?

As in joining the two together? And does this disable all of the safties?

Does not matter if you connect them together, or not, as long as you then ground them. If you just connect them together that just bypasses the clutch switch.

If you ground them both that guarantees no safety will keep it from cranking, and no safety will keep it from running.

It bypasses the clutch switch, the neutral switch, and the sidestand switch.

Dave

Does not matter if you connect them together, or not, as long as you then ground them. If you just connect them together that just bypasses the clutch switch.

If you ground them both that guarantees no safety will keep it from cranking, and no safety will keep it from running.

Dave

Dave--

It disables the sidestand indicator and neutral indictor lights as well, correct?

Dave

Thanks Dave!