oil checks wr450 06

10 replies to this topic
  • dobbo

Posted October 03, 2006 - 12:38 AM

Hey i just bought a wr 450f and when checking the oil it gives me a low reading I just picked it up from the shop.
Is there a special trick to checking the cause i am new to owning a bike.

• pHreaC

Posted October 03, 2006 - 01:01 AM

Read your manual: there you will read, first turn on your bike; let it run for a while, then check your oil... (if you did not turn it on first you will get a low reading)

regards,

pHreaC

• dobbo

Posted October 03, 2006 - 02:00 AM

:thumbsup: cheers, thats how it did it, the bike shop must of not put enough in...

• the bandit

Posted October 03, 2006 - 03:19 AM

i tried to check my oil for the first time the other day and when i unscrewed the dipstick oil started running out. does this mena there's too much oil in?
should i let some out incase it blows a seal or something?

• boer

Posted October 03, 2006 - 04:47 AM

i tried to check my oil for the first time the other day and when i unscrewed the dipstick oil started running out. does this mena there's too much oil in?

Yup, there's too much oil. You should drain some oil out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtbk4ever

Posted October 03, 2006 - 07:14 AM

And make sure you turn the bike off before checking your oil.

• face_plant

Posted October 03, 2006 - 07:55 AM

i can say if u changed the oil yourself the first time you prpbably forgot to drain the oil tank. i made the same mistake until i read the manual..

• the bandit

Posted October 04, 2006 - 01:30 AM

i just bought the bike and the person i bought it from had just changed the oil. he must have put way to much in.
what's the quickest way to get it down to the proper level? could i just undo any of the drainage bolts and let a little out at a time?

• boer

Posted October 04, 2006 - 01:43 AM

I would be on the safe side and drain all the oil and replace with new oil and oil filter as you never know what oil is in there right now. :devil:

• the bandit

Posted October 04, 2006 - 01:48 AM

i know for a fact it's got new oil and filter in as he was busy doing it the first time i went to see the bike. just a shame he couldn't be bothered to finish the job!

• texas_hippie

Posted October 06, 2006 - 02:11 PM

And make sure you turn the bike off before checking your oil.

Uh huh! :devil:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.