Daves Mods Done ,and So Is My Gas Mileage

35 replies to this topic
  • kex

Posted October 02, 2006 - 06:49 PM

I have just completed daves mods on my 04 xr 650l ,also installed kn filter and fmf Q2 slip on muffler ,and now my gas mileage is terrible . went from 82 miles per tank before res. to 63 does anyone have the same problem or is there someway to better this ? cant complain about the power increase , what a diffrence. :thumbsup: :lame: also whats your mileage ? thanx

• Boston Mangler

Posted October 02, 2006 - 07:23 PM

I am also getting ready to do this mod and looking for similar info!

The power increase was THAT noticeable huh?

Thanks

• COAL RUN

Posted October 03, 2006 - 05:20 AM

That mileage sounds about right, I have the same bike withe similar mods & a 4 gallon tank. I hit res. at about 112 miles. Changing the jetting & opening things up drasticly improves performance :thumbsup: but you are gona loose gas milage

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 03, 2006 - 06:40 AM

I have just completed daves mods on my 04 xr 650l ,also installed kn filter and fmf Q2 slip on muffler ,and now my gas mileage is terrible . went from 82 miles per tank before res. to 63 does anyone have the same problem or is there someway to better this ? cant complain about the power increase , what a diffrence. :thumbsup: :lame: also whats your mileage ? thanx

There's no "free lunch."

Where does performance come from? A tuned system and an energy source.

Dave's mods help tune the L to a decent performance level, and the energy source is, as we all know, gasoline. The performance increase uses more gas, plain and simple.

Outside of drastic re-engineering (a two-barrel carb--small main venturi for economy and average riding, and a bodacious secondary for power and antics), if you change one or some of the elements in the system, others will be affected. In this case a better breathing engine uses more fuel.

One suggestion after Dave's (or other) mods, is to validate that your combustion mix is in order...check your plug often for a clean, efficient burn. If too rich, your mileage (and engine) will suffer. :p

• ghoti

Posted October 03, 2006 - 07:51 AM

I get 46-48 mpg with mods. 04 L

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 03, 2006 - 08:20 AM

63 miles to reserve sounds a bit low- I get to about 75 in most cases.
I have the stock muffler, though.

Are you keeping the front tire on the ground?

Dave

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 03, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Are you keeping the front tire on the ground?

I thought that was just for parking. :thumbsup:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted October 03, 2006 - 12:15 PM

My XR610R (96) supermoto has a pipe, 610 kit, jetted a little rich and a UNI filter, airbox mods. On a 5 gallon Clarke tank I get about 190 before reserve then another 35 on reserve before I get off and push.

• evomx971

Posted October 03, 2006 - 12:51 PM

I have a '94 with Dave's mods, FMF Q slip on, UNI filter, desmogged and desnorkeled and I get low 40's. I was hoping for a little better mileage but the power and overall rideability with the mods is worth it. I have an SRX600 Yamaha streetbike that has essentially the same engine as an XT600 that will get 60mpg pretty easy. I think the knobbies and barn-door aerodynamics on the XR really drive the mileage down. I run a 4.0 gal Clarke tank, I don't fill it quite all the way full and have to go to reserve around 120 miles depending on how much has sloshed from one side to the other.

• nxridge

Posted October 03, 2006 - 03:06 PM

I thought that was just for parking. :thumbsup:

LOL....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted October 03, 2006 - 03:41 PM

There's no "free lunch."

Where does performance come from? A tuned system and an energy source.

Dave's mods help tune the L to a decent performance level, and the energy source is, as we all know, gasoline. The performance increase uses more gas, plain and simple.

Outside of drastic re-engineering (a two-barrel carb--small main venturi for economy and average riding, and a bodacious secondary for power and antics), if you change one or some of the elements in the system, others will be affected. In this case a better breathing engine uses more fuel.

One suggestion after Dave's (or other) mods, is to validate that your combustion mix is in order...check your plug often for a clean, efficient burn. If too rich, your mileage (and engine) will suffer. :thumbsup:

I would think it may even out though? Sure you may use more fuel but since you have more power you don't have to open her up as much to accomplish the same job as before.

You see it all the time with automobiles.......... every few years some get a bigger motor slapped in, gain more horsepower, yet get better gas milage.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted October 03, 2006 - 03:54 PM

I would think it may even out though? Sure you may use more fuel but since you have more power you don't have to open her up as much to accomplish the same job as before.

You see it all the time with automobiles.......... every few years some get a bigger motor slapped in, gain more horsepower, yet get better gas milage.

I see your point, but I beleive with the phenomenon you see with cars, there is alot more changing than just a less-restrictive airpath, and a larger jet. For example, roller rockers, fuel injection, fuel maps, OHC vs pushrods, etc.

Now if the 650L engine was redesigned... :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted October 03, 2006 - 04:01 PM

I see your point, but I beleive with the phenomenon you see with cars, there is alot more changing than just a less-restrictive airpath, and a larger jet. For example, roller rockers, fuel injection, fuel maps, OHC vs pushrods, etc.

Now if the 650L engine was redesigned... :thumbsup:

.............and I see your point too! :lame:

• motomonte

Posted October 03, 2006 - 04:13 PM

My XR610R (96) supermoto has a pipe, 610 kit, jetted a little rich and a UNI filter, airbox mods. On a 5 gallon Clarke tank I get about 190 before reserve then another 35 on reserve before I get off and push.

That's 225 miles for 5gals. of gas.225/5=45mpg...45mpg@2.5gal. stock tank should take you 112.5 miles before workout It all comes to driving style,If I wake up late for work the mileage will surely suffer :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted October 03, 2006 - 04:22 PM

Man, when you think about it, that's really crappy mileage toward a 2 ton car now a days. There are a lot out there that get 30-35 mpg (more on a trip) feeding a 4 or 6 cylinder motor and yet the bikes are ONLY 300 pounds or so feeding one cylinder and get just a bit better gas mileage. It's terrible when you look at it from that perspective.

You think a fuel injected one may have a substantial increase in mileage, that is if they come out with one?

• kex

Posted October 03, 2006 - 04:23 PM

thanx for the info fellas ,i guess that ims 4gal tank is coming sooner than my wife thinks. with all that new power i just cant stop twisting .

• COAL RUN

Posted October 04, 2006 - 05:36 AM

You may want to consider looking & the Clark 4 gallon tank, fit & finish is very good. It is also cheaper :devil:

• Metalwkr

Posted October 04, 2006 - 02:12 PM

my 96 with the mods gets around 40 above 70 mph. If I slow down to around 60 I have gotten close to 50. That's with stock 15-45 gearing. Subtract 5 MPG when running the 14 countershaft on the hiway.

• motomonte

Posted October 04, 2006 - 03:48 PM

[quote name='Huffa 2']Man, when you think about it, that's really crappy mileage toward a 2 ton car now a days. There are a lot out there that get 30-35 mpg (more on a trip) feeding a 4 or 6 cylinder motor and yet the bikes are ONLY 300 pounds or so feeding one cylinder and get just a bit better gas mileage. It's terrible when you look at it from that perspective.

Look at it this way,a one hour conmute on a car with heavy stop and go traffic can be done in less than half that time on a bike.I think were even then...

• Huffa 2

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:05 PM

[quote name='motomonte'][quote name='Huffa 2']Man, when you think about it, that's really crappy mileage toward a 2 ton car now a days. There are a lot out there that get 30-35 mpg (more on a trip) feeding a 4 or 6 cylinder motor and yet the bikes are ONLY 300 pounds or so feeding one cylinder and get just a bit better gas mileage. It's terrible when you look at it from that perspective.

Look at it this way,a one hour conmute on a car with heavy stop and go traffic can be done in less than half that time on a bike.I think were even then...[/QUOTE]

How the heck do you arrive at that, unless your riding the bike in a aggressive illegal way to get around traffic?

Why does a bike take so much gas towards a car? I know they (enduros) are not near as areodynamic as a car but with only weighing 300 lbs how comes they don't get a lot more then 40-50 per gallon?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.