My bikes running horrible!

5 replies to this topic
  • XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 02, 2006 - 06:25 PM

If anyone is running a TA pipe on their bike what jetting are you running? How do you adjust the pilot. There is some kinda aftermarket bolt in there and its bright red with knurls on it. I need to know how to adjust it. 2 turns from tight? It backfires like a !@#$% when i rev it in neutral or let off while in gear. It misses a tiny bit when I'm on it.

Is it too rich or too lean? I dont know what jet it has now but im changing it when I get my TA slip on. Its taking forever Bob says he sent it today. What Jets should I run. I live in Illinois kinda by st louis so elevation shouldnt matter that much. Seems like my engine is really hot after riding.

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:44 PM

The red knurled screw on the bottom of th ecarb is the idle fuel screw. In for lean, out for rich. It should end up around 1 1/2 - 2 turns if the pilot jet is right. It's possible your pipe has made the idle circuit too rich.

Use this procedure:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 03, 2006 - 06:03 PM

It still backfires at idle even when I have turned it out enough to where it turns really easy too easily probably four turns!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • onecolumbyte

Posted October 04, 2006 - 02:50 PM

If, as grayracer suggests, you are too rich then tighten (not loosen) the pilot screw. Turn it in until the idle drops and then back up 1/4 or 1/2 a turn.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted October 04, 2006 - 03:10 PM

It still has the stock pipe on it. I don't know if the guy that owned it before me maybe ran some kind of race gas that he either jetted it richer or leaner.

I got it to run ALOT better today when I turned the screw WAY WAY out. I think it is fully open and the screw is loose and could rattle out just from the motor running. It feels like if I could open it just a little more than it would get me that crisp running sound as said in the very very helpful article.

Is there a jet that I can move in the carb to make me have to turn it out less?

• Ga426owner

Posted October 04, 2006 - 04:14 PM

It still has the stock pipe on it. I don't know if the guy that owned it before me maybe ran some kind of race gas that he either jetted it richer or leaner.

I got it to run ALOT better today when I turned the screw WAY WAY out. I think it is fully open and the screw is loose and could rattle out just from the motor running. It feels like if I could open it just a little more than it would get me that crisp running sound as said in the very very helpful article.

Is there a jet that I can move in the carb to make me have to turn it out less?

NO NO NO
You need to get the bike back to stock jetting first - do you have your manual? I forget the stock setting ANYONE REMEMBER? I think 42 pj 162 mj - verify this - on the needle put clip on 3rd position from top

The fuel screw needs to be turned all the way in and then 1.5 to 2.5 turns out. NO MORE

If you have the fuel screw that far out....you have some issues going on

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.