Average mileage on tank of gas

10 replies to this topic
  • silverlakerider

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hey fellas, I'd like to see what other riders are getting for mileage on their stock tanks on a '05 WR450. Mine has all the free mods, Dr.D exhaust (full system), and a JD jetting kit. It runs great, the plug looks great. I only got about 40+ miles this weekend before I had to switch to reserve and milk it back home. I thought I could get around 60+ miles before switching, I guess I was wrong. What is everybody elses averages?

• 1BLUEsky

Posted October 02, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Unfortunately , that's about right. I have an 03' with a 2.8 gal tank and I can go about 45-50 miles but i'm on alot of tight trail that doesnt require much throttle. If i'm not mistaken the tank on the 05 is smaller.

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted October 02, 2006 - 10:44 AM

I go about 30 in the sand and about 50 on trails. on average.

• kskyles

Posted October 02, 2006 - 12:28 PM

on an 05 with a JD kit and an FMF PowerCore4 silencer, i get about 60 on trails.

• knucklehead

Posted October 02, 2006 - 02:21 PM

bout 50 before reserve (stock).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodjy

Posted October 02, 2006 - 06:54 PM

53 to 63 before hitting reserve, depending on terrain.

• yamageezer

Posted October 02, 2006 - 07:56 PM

There have been times where I only get 30-40 miles before I have to switch to reserve. I have found that tight single track eats the fuel (1st -3rd gear) and logging road type riding I get close to 50 mi. on a tank. I recently upgraded to an IMS 3.4 gal tank so that I was able to go allot further.

• tr21r

Posted October 02, 2006 - 09:37 PM

Yep, when I ride on lots of single track / MX track it will get right at 22 mpg - I've checked it several times. With the 2.1 gal. tank that is just over 45 mi. total range. :thumbsup:

I know it will get better on more open terrain. Anyway, I ended buying a Clarke 2.8 gal. tank but didn't plan any longer rides in the dusty summer so I haven't put it on.

Now, I've gone ahead and bought a KTM 250xcfw. What a nice bike!! I've only done a couple rides but it averaged in the low 30's mpg. The WR is for sale. I really am a fan of the WR for it's strength and reliability, though.

Ride on!

Mike

• red7

Posted October 02, 2006 - 09:38 PM

I looked at the IMS tanks on TT and it looks like it's just a 3.1 gal tank for the WR450s is that correct? The stock tank is 3 gal on the 04. The only other option I saw was a 6.6 gal acerbis. Do they make an in between tank where maybe it's just 1gal larger so it still looks normal but with a larger capacity? I'd hate to run out of gas on a beach in Mexico if I can only go about 20-25 miles each way. I guess I could always get that big acerbis and just switch them out depending upon where I'm riding but I think a 4-4.5 tank would be good all around.

• silverlakerider

Posted October 03, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Thank you for your responses fellas. And btw, I was riding tight single track all day, never got above 3rd gear. That explains a lot. Once again, thanks.

• BlueMule

Posted October 03, 2006 - 11:43 AM

You could always look into the side tank by Baja Designs. Holds 1.2 gallons and works well. I like mine. You can get them here on thumpertalk.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.