Head Shake

5 replies to this topic
  • jessy rogers

Posted October 01, 2006 - 06:01 PM

Just got back from a 40 mile ride and the low speed head shake is tiring. Anybody know of any fixes. I do have a steering stabilizer but in order for it to work at low speed, it is to stiff to turn. I ordered a stock YZF lower triple clamp due to being told there is a rake angle difference. Any Ideas??

• GCannon

Posted October 02, 2006 - 09:45 AM

If this head shake is happening in the sand and or soft conditions. You might try increasing your Fork Compression damping (Bottom of fork leg)2 or 3 clicks. For this discussion I will assume your rear spring sag is set correctlly. side note to make rake or offset changes triple clamps need to replaced as a set. I believe (someone correct me if I have this wrong) that the wr and yz clamps are the same as far a angles and geometry
One last thing most good suspension shops will help you do an inital suspension setup for free adjust your clickers and check your sag.

• spidennis

Posted October 02, 2006 - 11:59 AM

Just got back from a 40 mile ride and the low speed head shake is tiring. Anybody know of any fixes. I do have a steering stabilizer but in order for it to work at low speed, it is to stiff to turn. I ordered a stock YZF lower triple clamp due to being told there is a rake angle difference. Any Ideas??

you mean head shake like this?
http://www.sandslave...f/crashbayside/
.... and I lived to tell about it ......
I too will be looking for some kind of fix .....
don't want to do this again!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted October 02, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Wow, crazy crash pics! Did you have both hands on the bar? Were you standing up or sitting down? Was it the sand that started the whole thing?

I've gone 90mph on a dry lake bed (hard, almost like concrete) with no headshake.

• spidennis

Posted October 02, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Wow, crazy crash pics! Did you have both hands on the bar? Were you standing up or sitting down? Was it the sand that started the whole thing?

I've gone 90mph on a dry lake bed (hard, almost like concrete) with no headshake.

Had both hands on the bars, butt back over the rear fender, and haulin'. As I'm asking around I'm finding out a few things .... for one, my forks are set to the lower 2nd line position, (as I was trying to lower the bike ... I'm 5'3"). Going to set that back to it's original position when riding sand. I also have my forks set up a bit soft I think, so I'll stiffen it up using the clickers on the bottom of the forks. Anyway, that's the plan so far. Riding on the beach side along the surf was no problem btw, it was that super soft bay side flats that did me in! I can't believe I just got up after that crash .... I felt like RC that day!

• SID013

Posted October 02, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Had both hands on the bars, butt back over the rear fender, and haulin'. As I'm asking around I'm finding out a few things .... for one, my forks are set to the lower 2nd line position, (as I was trying to lower the bike ... I'm 5'3"). Going to set that back to it's original position when riding sand. I also have my forks set up a bit soft I think, so I'll stiffen it up using the clickers on the bottom of the forks. Anyway, that's the plan so far. Riding on the beach side along the surf was no problem btw, it was that super soft bay side flats that did me in! I can't believe I just got up after that crash .... I felt like RC that day!

Thanks for the headsup, I recently raised my forks from 1st line to 2nd line & have noticed headshake. Next step was to change out forkoil & set the levels. If I still have headshake I will go back down to 1st line.

Cheers from Oz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.